Common Questions about Working in Canada Temporarily - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.
Font size: +
5 minutes reading time (1056 words)

Common Questions about Working in Canada Temporarily


Common Questions about Working in Canada Temporarily 

There are many reasons individuals have a wish to come to Canada and enter the Canadian labor market. Though, because there are so many reasons to want to work in Canada, many, many people are signing up to do so. With all the interest in working in Canada, the Canadian government has several programs which individuals can apply to, essentially, to allow individuals to apply to work in Canada in the sector which most suits their knowledge, skills and work experience. Overall though, this has resulted in a large and confusing cluster of ways in which individuals can obtain work permits in Canada, ultimately making it much more difficult for individuals to understand how to get started on applying to work temporarily in Canada. This article will therefore serve the purpose of helping answer some questions individuals commonly have about temporary work permits, and how they may obtain one.

What is an LMIA? Do I Have to Apply for one?

The short answer is, you probably will need to apply for an LMIA, otherwise known as a labor market impact assessment. Essentially, this is an application for permission for the Canadian employer the foreign national intends to work for, to be able to fire a foreign worker temporarily. The Canadian government wants to avoid temporary workers coming to Canada, and taking positions away from Canadians who need work. Therefore, the LMIA assesses what the impact of hiring a temporary foreign worker would be. Ultimately, a positive LMIA is an endorsement by the Canadian government for the employer to hire a temporary foreign worker. To learn more about LMIA’s, follow the link provided. They can essentially be treated as an application all in themselves, so there is more to know about LMIA’s than can be covered here.

What is the Difference between an Open Work Permit and a Closed Work Permit?

Well, the main difference, speaking of LMIA’s, is that individuals applying for a closed work permit, require an LMIA, whereas those applying for an open work permit do not. A closed work permit only allows one to work for the employer listed on their work permit, while an open work permit allows an individual to work for any employer in Canada who qualifies as an eligible employer. There is a constantly updated list of eligible employers on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website; therefore, this is important to consult. Though, all employers are eligible unless they have lost their status as eligible.

Can I Work While I Study in Canada?

If you are in Canada on a valid study permit, special provisions apply to you, and you may be able to work in Canada without applying for a work permit. You can work on campus while you are studying without a work permit. Also, you can work off campus up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions. This means you can work up to 20 hours per week during the regular school year. Then, when the school year breaks, you are permitted to take on full time work.

What is a Post Graduate Work Permit?

Once you graduate from a Canadian institution on a study permit, you can apply for a post graduate work permit (PGWP). This permit will allow you to work in Canada to gain experience in the field you studied in, before you return to your country of origin. The length of time a PGWP may be valid for is dependent on the length your program of study was in Canada, up to a maximum of three years.

What are the Processing Times like for a Work Permit Application?

The processing times for work permits depend entirely on where you are applying from. Because applications are submitted to the country an individual is currently living in at the time of applying and the processing times are different for every country in the world, there is no one answer. Therefore, it is recommended individuals consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website, and use their “check processing times” tool, for a current update on how long applications are in process on average.

Is it possible to extend my work permit from within Canada?

Yes! It is very possible to extend your work permit from within Canada, and not very difficult to do, as long as your current work permit is still valid when you apply for a new one. You must also re-apply for an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), which is an important thing to keep in mind.

Can I Stay in Canada if I have applied for a new Work Permit but my current Work Permit has expired?

Luckily, yes, you may remain in Canada. If you have applied for an extension or a new work permit before your current permit expires, you will be on implied status for the period of time between your current work permit expiring, and your new one receiving a decision. This means you are legally permitted to stay in Canada and continue to work on the conditions of your current work permit, even if your work permit has expired. Once a decision on your new application is reached, you must immediately abide by those conditions.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a work permit in Canada, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients obtain valid work permits in order to work in Canada and contribute to the Canadian economy. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Work permit, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!


Apply to Visit Canada
FAQ's about Labor Market Impact Assessments

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.