The International Experience Canada Program - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
6 minutes reading time (1243 words)

The International Experience Canada Program


Working and Traveling in Canada

Canada is a beautiful country that has many tourist hotspots that attract foreign travelers to visit. You may be mesmerized with majestic view of the Banff National Park, Niagara Falls, Toronto’s CN Tower, Whistler, and many more. There are also many young individuals who want to work in Canada and have the ability to visit the aforementioned tourist hotspots. If you are a young individual who wants to work and travel in Canada, there is good news for you. The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada has launched the International Experience Canada Program that gives youth the opportunity to gain work experience and travel in Canada. In this blog, you will learn about how the International Experience Canada Program works.

Understanding the International Experience Canada Program

The International Experience Canada Program, as previously mentioned, is a program that allows youth to travel and work in Canada temporarily. Citizens of countries with a bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangement with Canada who are between 18 and 35 years old may be eligible for the International Experience Canada Program applications. There are three types of travel and work experience under the International Experience Canada Program: Working Holiday, Young Professionals, and International Co-op Internships.

Working Holiday

Working Holiday allows you to financially support your own vacation with temporary work in Canada. If you don’t have a job offer yet, or you want to work for more than one employer and/or in more than one location in Canada, then you may choose Working Holiday to make you wish come true. If you choose the Working Holiday option, you will be obtaining an open work permit.

Young Professionals

If you are an ambitious young individual who wants to gain professional work experience, in order to be competitive in the global economy, then the Young Professionals category is the option for you. In this category, you will be obtaining an employer-specific work permit. In order to be eligible for the Young Professionals category, you will need to have a job offer from your employer in Canada first. Due to the fact that you are not obtaining an open work permit, you also cannot work for multiple employers or in multiple locations in Canada. Moreover, the work cannot be self- employed and needs to be paid. Last but not least, the job you are offered in Canada must be classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B.

International Co-op Internships

If you are a student registered at a post-secondary institution and want to gain valuable work experience in Canada that is related to your field of study, then you may choose International Co-op Internships. Similar to the Young Professionals category, you will be obtaining an employer-specific work permit as well. The internship you are offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of studies and classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B.

How do I Apply for the International Experience Canada Program

Canada has made agreements with over 30 countries and territories, so it is easier for you to get a work permit or visa under International Experience Canada (IEC). There are six major steps that you will need to do to apply for the International Experience Canada Program. Please note, each country or territory has its own application process, and therefore, you are still required to pay close attention to the instructions given by your country or the territory,

Step 1: Choose a destination

The first step is always the hardest. If you want more guidance or inspiration for your destination, you can get some awesome ideas by checking out travel blogs, websites, and social media such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.

After you have decided the country or territory you want to work and travel in, you can start your research on the available jobs, cost of living, and travel ideas.

Step 2: Find out your eligibility to apply in the partner country or territory you choose

After you decide your destination, you need to make sure you are eligible to apply for a work permit work permit there. Each country or territory may have different requirements. For example, there may be different age, residency (where you live when you apply), and financial requirements. Each country or territory has different duration for your authorized stay and different work restrictions.

Step 3: Choose a right work permit

Each country or territory may have different names for their work permits, but the type of work permit you can apply for will essentially be an open work permit or an employer-specific work permit.

Open work permits allow you to work temporarily to help fund your trip. For Working Holiday you will be applying for an open work permit, which allows you to work for any employer and work in more than one location. With an open work permit, you also do not need to obtain a valid job offer before you apply.

Employer-specific work permits are common for international co-op jobs, internships, and young professionals looking for experience to help their career development. Unlike the working holiday or the open work permit, you must have a valid job offer before you apply for your employer-specific work permit. On employer-specific work permit, it will specify the employer you can work for, how long you can work, where you can work, and the type of work you can do.

Step 4: Get all the documents you need

Some of the most common required documents include:

  • your passport
  • proof of funds to cover your living expenses and your return ticket
  • proof of medical insurance for the duration of your stay
  • a copy of your employment contract (job offer) or internship contract

Depending on your circumstances, you may also be asked for:

  • your birth certificate
  • a criminal record check or police certificate
  • a medical exam
  • photos
  • translations of your documents (if you’re going to a country where English or French is not an official language)

Step 5: Complete your application

The application process for each country and territory is different. You have to read the application instructions on the country or territory website carefully.

In order to successfully complete your application, you must fill all application form(s), pay all required fees, and submit all required documents

As previously mentioned, there are different instructions for each country or territory. As a result, you may even need to complete your application in person. This is can be done at the embassy or consulate, or in the country or territory after you arrive.

Step 6: Start making your travel plans

If your application is approved, you’ll usually be notified by mail or email. You can then start making your travel plans.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Preparing for an International Experience Canada application can be confusing, or sometimes, overwhelming. If you misrepresent information, your application can be delayed, or ultimately, refused. Fear not! Akrami and AssociatesAkrami and Associates have dealt with many International Experience Canada cases. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save your from hassle. Please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545 for more information, or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami and Associates, there is always a way!

Open Work Permit and Closed Work Permit
How Do I Hire a Foreign Worker

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to