Study Permit for International Students - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.
Font size: +
6 minutes reading time (1164 words)

Study Permit for International Students


Studying in Canada

Canada academic institutions offer different types of degrees in many subjects that include: law, medicine, science, humanities, etc. These institutions give the opportunity for students all over the world to exercise their passions, become global leaders in research and obtain extensive expertise in various areas of studies. If you are a foreign national looking to study in Canada, there a few steps you need to take before being part of our learning community as an international student. If this sounds like something you are interested in, continue reading this blog to understand basic information of a study permit.

The first step is obtaining an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution in Canada. You can apply to different universities or colleges through their website and get an acceptance letter from one of the institutions you applied too. It is important to keep in mind that a designated learning institution is a school approved by the province and territory government to host international students. Some post- secondary schools that host international students include:

  • Algonquin college
  • Brock University
  • Conestoga College
  • Durham College
  • Evergreen College
  • Fanshawe College
  • George Brown College
  • Humber College
  • Lakehead University
  • McMaster University
  • Nipissing University
  • OCAD University
  • Queen’s University
  • Seneca College
  • Trent University
  • University of Ottawa
  • University of Guelph
  • University of Toronto
  • University of Waterloo
  • York University
  • Many more

After you received an acceptance letter from the colleges or universities mentioned above, then you can proceed with applying for a study permit.

What is a Study Permit?

A study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institution in Canada. In most cases foreign nationals do need a study permit to study in Canada. A study permit is not considered an entry visa to Canada. Once you obtain a valid study permit that does not indicate you are allowed enter into Canada. In most cases once you have obtained a valid study permit, you will also need a visitor’s visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to be able to enter Canada. If your study permit is approved by CIC, they also issue you a visitor visa or eTA alongside your study permit for you to be able to enter Canada.

Study Permit Validity

A study permit is only valid for the length of your study program. CIC grants you an additional 90 days on top of the length of your study period. CIC grants you these extra ninety days for you to prepare to leave Canada and go back to your home country or extend your stay in Canada.

There are cases in which your study program finishes earlier than your study permit expiration date. If this were to occur your study permit is valid ninety days after your studies have been complete, regardless of the day the study permit was printed.

Study Permit Eligibility

To see if you are eligible for a study permit you must fulfill the requirements below:

  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Have sufficient funds to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses, and travel arrangement for your return transportation.
  • No criminal record
  • Must be in good health
  • Demonstrate to the officer that you will leave Canada after your study permit becomes invalid.

If you are a foreign national who has applied for a program that is less than six months, or is a member of the foreign armed forces, or is a registered Indian status under Canadian law or minor children, there may be additional steps or other requirements you need to meet to be able to study in Canada.

How to for apply Study Permit

You are able to apply for study permit either from inside or outside of Canada. Depending on your circumstances will determine if paper or online application is in your favour. Some students may be eligible to submit their application at the port of entry and get same day decision. However, every case is different, it is best to speak with someone with expertise to determine which route is best for you.

Important Documents for Study Permit to include:

  • Your acceptance letter
  • ID documents
  • Financial documents from past 6 months
  • Study plan
  • Ties to your home country

Citizenship and immigration Canada (CIC) requires the payment of the government fees in advance prior to accepting your application. Should your application be incomplete they simply return it without reviewing it.

Study permit applications typically take 2 to 4 months to get decision from citizenship and immigration Canada. However, sometimes it can take longer based on your country of citizenship or your circumstances.

Study Permit Application Submitted

After you submit your application, CIC may ask you to give biometrics and fingerprints. You must pay the biometrics fee, which is $85 CAD per applicant. Then they will issue a letter indicating how and where you could get your biometrics done. CIC typically gives you up to 30 days to submit your biometrics to them.

Once you have done your biometrics then your study permit application will continue to be in process. After this stage of your application CIC may ask you for additional documentation such as a medical exam, police certificate, request to send more information or they may ask you for an interview, if this were to happen it is important to be prepared and equipped to address what CIC is asking of you.

Study Permit Approval or Refusal

If you are approved than CIC will send you a letter of introduction. This letter is not the study permit; this letter indicates a confirmation of approval for a study permit. CIC will also issue a visitor’s visa or an eTA depending on your country of citizenship so that you may enter Canada with a valid status. It is important to bring that letter and your entry visa when you arrive to Canada.

If you are refused than there will be a letter from CIC explaining why your application was refused.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Study permit application is not easily approved by citizenship and immigration Canada. The applicants must present a strong application to demonstrate their intent is for temporary stay and will exit once studies done.

The information indicated above is a basic understanding of a study permit application. Applying for a study permit can be a difficult process, and in many cases potential students get refused because

  • they either submit an incomplete application
  • not demonstrating strong ties to their home country
  • not able to show sufficient funds that they can financially support their stay
  • purpose of visit is not good
  • study plan is not clear

To obtain the highest possibility of a successful application is by hiring a law firm with experience such as Akrami & Associates. With our team of Legal Experts you can trust that your case will be handled thoroughly and professionally. If you have any further inquiries do not hesitate to call us at 416-477-2545 to book a proper consultation.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!

Post Graduate Work Permit
Temporary Resident Permit and Inadmissibility

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.