Post Graduate Work Permit - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.
Font size: +
5 minutes reading time (1018 words)

Post Graduate Work Permit


Working after Graduating

Are you an international student looking to work in Canada after you graduate from your program? Are you looking for Canadian work experience to better your future? If this sounds like something you are interested in then you may be eligible to apply for a post graduate work permit. The work experience that you gain through the Canadian labour market may help you qualify for permanent residency in the future. Continue reading this blog to under the process of a post graduate work permit.

What is a Post graduate Work Permit?

It is a written authorization for international students to work in Canada. These students must have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution. A post graduate work permit is considered an open work permit which allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer who is ineligible.

CIC has designated a list for those employers who have failed to comply with certain conditions imposed by the government which has deemed them non-compliant employers. As a result no individual on an open work permit can work for these employers. The list is on CIC website and indicates which area they are located.

Eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit

If you have graduated from a designated learning institution in Canada and want to stay temporarily to work then you may be eligible to apply for a post graduate work permit.

To be eligible you must meet the following requirements below:

  • Meet all the requirements you need to complete for your study program
  • Maintained a full time status as a student for each semester
  • Graduated from a post-secondary school that is under the list of designated learning institution in Canada
  • Apply within 180 days after your school issues your final marks
  • Make sure your passport is valid for the entire period of time the post graduate work permit would be issued

Applying for Post Graduate Work Permit

You can apply for a post graduate work permit either inside of Canada or overseas.

When applying for a post graduate work permit inside of Canada you will need some required documentation to support your application, some documents include:

  • An official letter from your school confirming you have completed your study program
  • An official transcript that includes the courses you have taken and the grades earned throughout the course of your study.
  • Other supporting documents

You have two options available for submitting your application. The first, is submitting the application online. As we have mentioned in other blogs, online application does have a faster processing time and no courier or delivery fees involved.

An online application requires:

  • A scanner to upload all your documents on your account
  • Fill out all areas of the form truthfully and accurately
  • Be prepared to upload your documents and answer questions
  • Pay the fees of $255 CAD for processing
  • And create an online account to submit your application and check your status

Paper Applications are similar to online application but have a few different requirements:

  • Slower processing time
  • Print out all necessary documents
  • Mail out your application to the right address – courier fee included

If you are applying outside of Canada an online application is a similar process but for a paper application there are additional steps that must be met:

  • You may need to pay third party fees such as medical exams
  • Polices certificate
  • Language testing
  • Other services at our visas application centre that require you to complete your application
  • You may need to pay two separate fees before submitting your application, an open work permit fee of $100 CAD and a work permit holder fee of $155 CAD.
  • Before submitting any application you must have paid off all necessary government fees.

Post Graduate Work Permit Submitted

Case Processing Centre will review you application, if your application is in anyways missing information, incomplete or inconstant they will return your application.

The immigration officer may impose certain conditions on a post graduate work permit that may include:

  • How long you are permitted to work in Canada
  • Types of work you are not permitted to work in, such as escort services, and strip club.

A post graduate work permit can be granted for up to three years after graduation. The students that usually get the three year post graduate work permit are the students who have enrolled and completed a two year or more study program for them to get the maximum timeframe. If your study permit was issued only eight months most likely your post graduate work permit will be issued for a minimum of eight months.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Applying for a post graduate work permit in Canada can be a challenging and overwhelming process. Here at Akrami and Associates can guide you step by step on the process and answer all your questions and concerns. They will provide accurate information; develop supporting argument so that your application can have maximum success. This application can be handled the right way by the hands of our professional.

The representatives at Akrami and Associates have years of experience dealing with open and closed work permit applications for various clients around the world. You can rely on the help of our professionals to make sure your immigration matter will be treated in a wise manner. We will ensure that every case that obtains our services is handled by a designated to a qualified professional. Our representatives will do their best in order to ensure your maximum possibilities of success. If you have any questions or personal inquiries do not hesitate to contact us at 416-477- 2545 to book a consultation or you can send us an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

With Akrami and Associates, there's always a way!

What you need to know about Study Permit
Study Permit for International Students

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.