Study Permit Eligibility for Canada - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
6 minutes reading time (1116 words)

Study Permit Eligibility for Canada



Are you a foreign student looking to study abroad? Are you looking to learn more about the process of obtaining a study permit? Has your application for a study permit been refused? If you are wondering the answer to these questions, then you are not to worry, as this blog will answer them.

What is a Study Permit in Canada?

A study permit is a legal document issued to foreign students who wish to study in Canada. This allows for them to do so at designated learning institutions, at the post-secondary level. A student permit should be applied for before entering Canada; however, it is important to notice that this document does not act as a visa or eTA to enter the country.

What is a designated learning institution in Canada?

A designated learning institution in Canada is a post-secondary school that has been approved by the government of the province of territory it is located in, to allow international students to study. Noticeably, all secondary and elementary schools are designated learning institutions, but only a handful of post-secondary schools are.

How do I know if I need a Canadian Study Permit?

As a foreign student, there are a couple of factors that might exempt your need for a permit. You do not need a Canadian study permit if:

  • You are studying for a short period of time (6 months or less)

  • You have been officially recognized by Global Affairs Canada as a staff member or family member of a foreign representative to Canada.

  • You are a member of a foreign armed forces (military)

  • You have been deemed as a Registered Indian and have obtained this status in Canada

  • You are a minor (however, notice that if you reach the majority of age, you will need a study permit to keep studying)

What are the requirements for a Study Permit in Canada?

In order to obtain a study permit, the following requirements from the Government of Canada that are to be included in your application:

  • An acceptance letter from a designated learning institution

  • Proof you can financially support yourself and any individual who is accompanying you during your studies (the ability to cover living expenses, tuition, return fees, etc.)

  • A valid travel document, such as a passport

  • Your biometrics

  • A police certificate or background check if required, as proof that you are not a threat to Canada’s security

  • A medical exam if required proving you are in good health

  • The ability to convince the immigration officer that you are to return to your home country after you have finished your studies.

How do I apply for a Canadian Study Permit

Even though it is recommended to apply for a study permit while you are outside Canada, it is also possible to apply within Canada or at a port of entry. The application is submitted online, which is convenient if you are applying from outside of Canada, as courier fees can be avoided and updates can be delivered more quickly. Noticeably, if you are applying online, it is important that you have a scanner or camera available in order to submit documents, as well as a valid credit card in order to pay the fees.

What costs do Canadian Study Permits entail?

The cost of obtaining a Canadian study permit is $150.

How long am I able to stay in Canada for with a study permit?

With a study permit, you are able to stay in Canada for the period of your studies, plus a 90-day period in order to return back home or extend your stay.

  • If you have a conditional acceptance, meaning that you have to take pre-requisite courses before being accepted into the main program, your study permit will be valid for the duration of your pre-requisite courses. After this is done, you must extend your study permit in order to continue your studies in the main program that you have been accepted into.

  • If you finish your studies after the expiration of your permit, you must apply for an extension. If you do not, you will be required to stop your studies and leave Canada.

  • If you finish your studies before the expiration of your permit, you will have 90 days to extend your stay or return home, regardless of the date on the permit. The 90 day period is effective after the first day your school informs you of your completion.

Am I able to return back home while I am studying in Canada?

As long as your visa or eTA is valid when re-entering Canada, you are allowed to travel back home. Note that you might need to show proof of your studies and the fact that you are still studying when entering the country.

Am I able to work while I study in Canada?

If you are registered at a designated learning institution full time and you have obtained your study permit, you might be eligible to work on-campus or off-campus. This will be noted in your study permit itself.

What are some common reasons for the refusal of Canadian study permits?

Some common reasons as to why your study permit has been denied include:

  • The lack of funds to support oneself and any accompanying individuals during the period of studies

  • The overcrowding in the program or career that you have chosen (ex. coming to Canada to study English, while you have the option study English in your home country or because everyone wants to study English in Canada)

  • The officer was not convinced that you would leave Canada after finishing your studies, or that your main purpose of travel was not studies

  • You did not pass the medical exam if it was required

Contact Akrami and Associates

The application for a study permit in Canada can be overwhelming and complicated due to all the requirements, fees and steps to be taken. Akrami and Associates can aid you during this process in order to take a load off your back, and provide a greater chance of success. This process can become much more manageable when put in the hands of our professionals.

The representatives at Akrami and Associates are extremely experienced in the immigration field and receive constant success. Counting with the help of a professional is consistently recommended, and you can be sure that your immigration matter will be treated in a wise manner. Our representatives will do their best in order to ensure your maximum possibilities of success. If you have any questions or personal inquiries do not hesitate to contact us at 416-477- 2545 to book a consultation.

With Akrami and Associates, there's always a way!

Visitor Visa Extension Eligibility
Inviting Your Parents and Grandparents to Canada

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to