Study Permit Eligibility - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
6 minutes reading time (1275 words)

Study Permit Eligibility

Study Permit Eligibility

International Students Studying in Canada

Do you want to study in Canada? Do you feel like the educational opportunities are better here than in your home country? If so, you should apply for a Study Permit. It is important to note that a study permit is necessary for some foreign nationals; however, there are some foreign nationals that do not require a study permit to study in Canada. In this article I will explain in detail, who needs a study permit and who does not, how to start the process of obtaining a study permit and any further steps.

Who does not need a Study Permit?

There are some necessary steps one has to make before applying for a study permit in Canada. Yet, there are some foreign nationals that do not require a study permit at all. If you fall under any of these categories below, you do not need a study permit to study in Canada:

  • If you plan on studying in a short-term course or program

If the course or program you intend on attending is six months or less, getting a study permit is not necessary. However, keep in mind that you must complete your studies within the time frame that you are authorized to stay in Canada. If not, you may need to extend your visit in order to complete it and may at this point need a study permit.

  • If you are a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)

If you related to or are a staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by GAC, you may not need a permit to study within Canada. In order to determine this, it is important to contact your embassy in Canada ahead of time. Your embassy can then contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to confirm whether or not you will need a study permit.

  • If you are a member of a Foreign Armed Forces

Under the Visiting Forces Act, you may not need a permit to study in Canada if you are a member of a foreign armed force. Furthermore, if your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must also meet the requirements.

  • If you are a Foreign national who is a Registered Indian in Canada

If you happen to be a citizen of another country who has recognized Registered Indian status in Canada, then you do not need a permit to study in Canada. Of course, you must prove that you do have Indian status with the proper documentation.

Conclusively, if you do not fall under these categories, you will need a study permit to enter Canada to study. There are many factors for eligibility to study in Canada and I will outline the necessary components you will need in order for you to proceed with the application process.

Study Permit Requirements

  • You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.

  • You must prove and demonstrate that you have enough funds to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any of your family members who come with you, and the return transportation for yourself and any of your family members who come with you.

  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada and its citizens. (Additionally, you may need to provide a police certificate to prove this)

  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination. (if it is required of you)

  • You must prove to the immigration officer that you intend on leaving Canada at the end of your authorized visit.

If you have all of these requirements, you’re on the right track! Under any circumstances, if you are unsure if your educational institution falls under the “designated learning institution,” I will include some institutions that are located in Ontario for reference.

For instance:

  • Niagara College Canada (all 3 locations)

  • University of Guelph (all 5 locations)

  • University of Toronto (both locations)

Keep in mind, the designated learning institutions don’t always represent a college or university. There are many institutions that specialize in specific trades or careers, such as:

  • Willowbank School of Restoration Arts in Queenston

  • Cornwall Aviation in Summerstown

  • Computek College of Business Healthcare and Technology (both locations)

If you are still unsure if your educational institution falls under the designated learning institutions, feel free to go on the Government of Canada website and search for the designated learning institution list. This list will formulate based on the province you are intending to study in. In the case that you are unable to find your educational institution, unfortunately it would not fall under the designated learning institution and you cannot apply for a study permit. Therefore, it is extremely important that you get a letter of acceptance from an educational institution on that list before applying for a study permit.

So, say you received your study permit. Congratulations! You are now able to study in Canada and gain an educational experience like no other! At this point, it is imperative that you fully understand the terms and conditions of your study permit.

Once you receive your permit, the terms and conditions will tell you:

  • The educational level you are permitted to study at

  • That you must remain enrolled at a designated learning institution

  • That you must continue making progress toward completing your program

  • If you are allowed to work in Canada

  • Whether you need to report for a medical examination, observation or treatment

  • If your travel within Canada is restricted, and

  • When you must exit Canada

At any point in time, if your circumstances change, for instance if there will be a change in the level of your study, you need to amend the terms and conditions and you must submit a completed Application to Change Conditions. If you wish to change your study period or extend your study in Canada, you must submit a completed application to extend your stay in Canada.

In the circumstance that you are a post-secondary student with a valid study permit, you do not need to submit the application if you want to change your program of study and/or the institution that you are studying at. In order to accurately change this information, you must, however, notify the Government of Canada through their website, on your profile.

If any of the above terms and conditions are broken, you may voluntarily leave Canada, or in the worst case scenario, you may be subject to an inadmissibility determination or hearing. This can ultimately lead to your removal from Canada and you will lose your temporary resident status and/or any permit you have. Under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, it is an offence if you do not comply with the conditions imposed on you when you were authorized to enter Canada or when your study permit was issued. So, remember to comply with the terms and conditions and if there are any changes, notify the Government of Canada.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you are still unsure if you are eligible for a study permit or you are not sure how to get the specific requirements, Akrami & Associates would be more than happy to assist you with obtaining your study permit. Feel free to contact our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you want to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice. At Akrami & Associates, we have submitted many successful study permits and have helped our clients gain exceptional educational experience for their future.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Who Qualifies to Apply for Super Visa
Sponsoring Refugee as Group of Five G5

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to