The Process of Coming to Study in Canada - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
6 minutes reading time (1231 words)

The Process of Coming to Study in Canada


Prepare to Study in Canada

If you have been considering completing all or a portion of your studies in Canada, it is never too early to start preparing to apply for a study permit. It can take a remarkably long time to prepare an application. Then, on top of this, it takes even longer for the application to be processed and a decision be given to the applicant. Throughout this article, we will aim to provide a comprehensive article, which details all the things one must think of, to prepare to study in Canada.

1. Find out Whether You Come from a Visa-Exempt, or a Non-Visa Exempt Country.

This will determine whether you only need to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA), or, if you need to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV), along with your study permit.

2. Ensure you are Eligible to Study in Canada

There are various requirements individuals must meet, to be able to submit a complete application for a study permit, and have their application considered. First and foremost, you must have a letter of acceptance from a DLI; designated learning institution. Then, you must be financially stable, have no criminal record, and be in good physical health. If you have a criminal record, you will need to apply for a temporary resident permit, to overcome your inadmissibility, and be permitted to study in Canada.

3. Submit an Application for a Study Permit with All Necessary Elements

To submit a complete application, you must have;

  • A letter of acceptance from a DLI/ proof that you are enrolled at a Canadian DLI,
  • Proof that you have the financial stability to finance your stay in Canada, and your trip home,
  • Proof that you have no criminal history or medical issues which would make you inadmissible,
  • Proof that you have strong ties to your home country, and that it is your intention to return to your country of origin at the end of your authorized stay,
  • An element dedicated to explaining why you want to study in Canada and how this will benefit your future in your country of origin,
  • A valid passport.

Please note, you should also check the visa office instructions for your country of origin for additional local requirements.

4. Prepare to Arrive in Canada

When you arrive in Canada, the CBSA officer who examines you, is essentially ensuring you are who you claimed to be on your application for a study permit, or a temporary resident visa, or whichever kind of document allowed you to enter Canada, and, they are ensuring the application which gives you permission to enter, was filed truthfully and no one entering Canada has misrepresented themselves. Ultimately, CBSA officers have complete authority to deny any individual entry at the border, regardless of the applications they have had approved. Therefore, when you arrive at the border, it is best to understand what the border officer is trying to do, to avoid being underprepared, and surprised when it seems as though you are submitting an application all over again. If it seems this way, there is nothing to be alarmed about, as I explained, the border officer is essentially examining your application, one more time. Therefore, when you arrive at the border, here’s what you’ll need to do:

You will need to show:

  • Your valid passport or travel document
  • Your letter of introduction, sent from the visa office which approved your study permit (this letter has your permit reference number which we use to issue your study permit)
  • a copy of the acceptance letter your school sent you
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
  • letters of reference or any other documents the visa office where you applied told you to bring
  • And either a valid eTA or temporary resident visa.

5. Being Admitted into Canada on a Study Permit

Once you are successfully admitted into Canada on your study permit, the officer will stamp your passport or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. Generally, individuals are allowed to stay for six months. At that point, you can apply to extend your stay in Canada. Though, there are other terms attached to your study permit that are important to be aware of. You must:

  • always be enrolled at a DLI, specifically, the DLI you applied for the study permit with. If you want to change your institution, you must apply to change the terms of your study permit
  • make progress towards completing your program, specifically, the program you applied for the study permit with. If you want to change your program of study, you must apply to change the terms of your study permit
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

6. Working on a Study Permit

Under certain conditions, you may be able to work in Canada. Please note, there are conditions under which students can study without a study permit. If you are studying without a study permit, the following conditions under which students can work do not apply to you.

If you have a study permit, you can work on campus for the institution you are attending, without first obtaining a work permit. You can also work as a graduate, research or teaching assistant at an off-campus site that has a formal affiliation with the institution. This could be something like a teaching hospital, clinic or research institute. You also do not need to obtain a work permit for these positions.

Full-time students may also be eligible to work off-campus for any employer. If this is the case for you, you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during the time which school is running full time, and you are permitted to work full-time during holidays. Only full-time students are eligible for off-campus work.

If your program requires a co-op term, you are permitted to work this co-op term, but you must obtain a co-op work permit first.

Furthermore, if you would like to work in Canada after graduating, you are also permitted to do this, but you must apply for a work permit under the Post-graduation Work Permit Program.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a study permit, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients travel to Canada with a study permit and they are now happily enjoying their visit in Canada while studying at a Canadian educational institution. If you believe that you may be eligible for a study permit, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Super Visa Application
Applying and Hiring Through the Global Talent Stre...

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to