FAQs for Permanent Resident Cards in Canada - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
5 minutes reading time (1010 words)

FAQs for Permanent Resident Cards in Canada

FAQs for Permanent Resident Cards in Canada

FAQ – Permanent Resident Cards

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for Permanent Resident Cards in Canada and some important information to consider when applying. The Permanent Resident Card was created to identify the permanent resident of Canada and is used as a form of travel document. If you are a permanent resident of Canada and would like to apply for a Permanent Resident card, I suggest you read our article on “The Basics of Permanent Residency in Canada” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to Permanent Resident Cards in Canada.

Q: How long does it usually take to process a PR card?

A: The processing times for PR cards fluctuate often. The best way to determine how long your PR card will take to process is by visiting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website which has a specific webpage for processing times of all immigration applications. For instance, during this time, specifically September of 2017, the processing times for permanent resident cards is approximately 61 days, which is about 2 months. The processing time is around the same for renewals or replacements of permanent resident cards.

Q: I just received permanent residency in Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card or will one be given to me?

A: This is a very good question. There is no need to apply for a PR card as one will be mailed to you when you arrive in Canada. Keep in mind, in order to receive it in the mail, Immigration must have a Canadian mailing address to send it to. If you have not given Immigration your Canadian address, you can use the online address notification tool to send it. You must provide Immigration with this information within 180 days of gaining permanent residency in Canada. If not, then Immigration will terminate the PR card and you must then apply for one on your own and pay the processing fees.

Q: If there is a mistake on my PR card, what am I supposed to do?

A: Thankfully, the government of Canada realizes that there may be mistakes on PR cards and has created the application for a reissued permanent resident card. Therefore, if you’d like to correct the mistake you must submit this application with the corrections. Please note that if your first or last name has over 28 characters, then the name listed on the PR card will be shortened. This is not a mistake as the PR card can only hold 28 characters for first and last name. Specifically, for PR cards that were issued after November 21, 2015, names are listed to 28 characters or less for first name and last name, respectively.

Q: Is there a cost associated with obtaining a PR card?

A: Yes, there is a cost associated with obtaining a PR card. The cost of a PR card is $50 CAD. This fee will be paid every time you have to renew or replace your card as well.

Q: What happens to my PR card if I am granted Canadian citizenship?

A: The moment you receive Canadian citizenship in Canada will mean that you are no longer a permanent resident of Canada. As a result, your PR card will no longer be valid and you will no longer need to use it either. Immigration will proceed to collect your PR card at the citizenship ceremony.

Q: Is it possible to avoid delays or a refusal in the processing of my PR card application?

A: This is a common question that many permanent residents have. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid a refusal of a PR card application as the discretion and ultimate decision is in the hands of the Immigration officer. However, thankfully, there are ways to avoid delays in your PR card application. In order to avoid delays in your application, you must ensure that you have accurately filled out and signed the application forms; collect and provide all the documents in the document checklist; and, pay the appropriate fees for your application.

Q: I received communication from Immigration stating that my PR card has been sent to me; however, I have not received it. What can I do about this?

A: In circumstances where Immigration has informed you that they have sent the PR card, there are three options that may occur. The first option is if you have not received your PR card and six weeks have not passed yet, then you must wait until you receive your PR card. However, the second option is if you have not received your PR card and six weeks have passed, then you must complete a solemn declaration. The last resort and last possible option would be if you have not received your PR card and it has been over 180 days. If this is the case, then you will have to apply for a PR card and include the fee payment.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a Permanent Resident Card in Canada, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped our clients apply for their Permanent Resident Cards in Canada. If you believe that you may be eligible, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Separated or Divorced from Sponsored Spouse
How to Renew Your PR Card While Outside of Canada

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://toimmigrate.com/