FAQs for Criminal Rehabilitation - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.
5 minutes reading time (1010 words)

FAQs for Criminal Rehabilitation

FAQs for Criminal Rehabilitation

FAQ – Criminal Rehabilitation

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for Criminal Rehabilitation applications in Canada and some important information to consider if you are applying for a Criminal Rehabilitation application. A Criminal Rehabilitation application is intended for foreign nationals with criminal inadmissibility who would like to visit Canada and not have inadmissibility issues in the future. This type of application was created and intended to provide foreign nationals, who have past criminal offence(s), made in or outside of Canada, with an opportunity to enter Canada even with their criminal inadmissibility. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation, I suggest you read our article on “How to Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to Criminal Rehabilitation applications in Canada.

Q: What exactly is a Criminal Rehabilitation application?

A: A criminal rehabilitation application is a permanent waiver that removes the criminal inadmissibility from a foreign national that wishes to enter Canada. In other words, in the future, instead of being denied entry into Canada due to their inadmissibility, they will no longer have any inadmissibility issues when entering Canada.

Q: Who is eligible to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation application?

A: In order to become eligible to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation application, you must abide by the eligibility requirements, much like any other immigration application. Specifically, the foreign national who is applying for a Criminal Rehabilitation must demonstrate that five years have elapsed since they successfully completed all aspects of their sentence. This includes paying all fines, completing their probation, etc.

Q: How do I apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation application?

A: Foreign nationals with criminal inadmissibility must apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation application at the Canadian consulate that is responsible for processing applications in the country from where they are applying and where they are currently residing. Unlike a Temporary Resident Permit, no individual can apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation application at a Canadian port of entry.

Q: How much does it cost to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation?

A: The processing fees for Criminal Rehabilitation applications entirely depend on the number of offences made and the seriousness of the offence(s). For instance, if a foreign national committed one or more non-serious offences, then they will be required to pay a processing fee of $200 CAD for their Criminal Rehabilitation application. In contrast, if a foreign national committed one or more serious offences, then they will be required to pay a processing fee of $1,000 CAD for their Criminal Rehabilitation application.

Q: What kind of documents do I need to submit with my Criminal Rehabilitation application?

A: There are several documents that you must submit with your Criminal Rehabilitation application. For instance, you must provide police clearance certificates, court documents, FBI clearances (if you are American or lived in the U.S. for over six months), and identity documents such as your passport, driver’s license, etc. Most importantly, you must provide accurate and complete application forms. If the application forms are filled out incorrectly or there are empty spaces on the forms, there is a high chance that the application will be returned to you. Therefore, submitting the appropriate documents and forms with your Criminal Rehabilitation application is essential for higher chances of approval.

Q: How long does it take to get a final decision on my Criminal Rehabilitation application?

A: The processing times for Criminal Rehabilitation applications depend on which Canadian consulate you submitted the application. On average, most criminal rehabilitation applications take approximately six to twelve months to process; however, they can take less or more time depending on how many applications the Canadian consulate has received. It is always advisable to check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website to determine the processing times for criminal rehabilitation applications prior to submitting your application.

Q: What if I am not eligible yet for a Criminal Rehabilitation? Are there any other options for me to enter Canada?

A: Yes, luckily there are other options available for criminally inadmissible foreign nationals, apart from a criminal rehabilitation. Depending on why you need to enter Canada and if the reason is legitimate, you may be able to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, also referred to as a TRP, in order to enter Canada temporarily. A Temporary Resident Permit is a document that permits foreign nationals with inadmissibility issues to enter Canada temporarily. Therefore, if you desperately need to enter Canada, it is advisable to look at a TRP as an option. Additionally, applying for a TRP can be an easier process, in terms of the processing times, especially if you are applying at a port of entry. This can only apply to American citizens who cross the Canadian border. The final decision would be made at the port of entry by an Immigration officer; the decision would be made the same day you enter at the port of entry.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients obtain authorization to enter Canada through a Criminal Rehabilitation. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Criminal Rehabilitation, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

FAQs for Landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident
FAQs for Canadian Immigration Application Process

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://toimmigrate.com/