Super Visa Application for Parents and Grandparents - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.
Font size: +
5 minutes reading time (1033 words)

Super Visa Application for Parents and Grandparents

Super Visa Application for Parents and Grandparents

What is a Super Visa?

A Super Visa is a temporary visa issued to parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. The Super Visa allows parents and/or grandparents to enter Canada and stay for up to 2 years per visit and is valid for a period of 10 years. A Visitor Visa is a multiple entry visa which is also valid for 10 years but only allows 6 months of stay per visit; different from a Super Visa which enables 2 years of stay. The Super Visa allows parents and grandparents of Citizens and/or permanent residents to enter Canada and stay with them for an authorized period.

You must be eligible to apply for a Super Visa as a parent or grandparent. Eligibility means you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident

  • You must be allowed entry into Canada

  • Meet other certain conditions, depending on which apply to you

You must as be able to convince an immigration officer that you are only a visitor to the country and will leave the country by your own will once your authorized period of stay is over. Immigration officers can perform this check based on:

  • The reason you came for a visit

  • Your ties to your home country or country of permanent residence

  • Your relatives you are visiting and the relatives back in the country from which you came from

  • Your personal finances and the finances of the relatives you are visiting. This is to make sure you have adequate amount of money to comfortably finance your stay but not exceeding a limit that will indicate you are planning to exceed your permitted stay

  • The socio-economic stability of your home-country; this is to show that you do not intend to file for a refugee claim during your stay

  • Whether you received an invitation from a Canadian host

Other Super Visa Requirements

  • Prove the child you are visiting in Canada, whether your son or daughter or any of your grandchildren, meet the minimum income required

  • Prove that the child or grandchild you are visiting will provide with the necessary financial support

  • Have medical insurance in Canada for at least one year

  • Have the necessary immigration medical exam

Super Visa Low Income Cut Off (LICO) Requirements

 Size of Family Unit  

 Minimum Necessary Income  

1 person


2 person


3 person


4 person


5 person


What is the Difference between a Super-Visa and a Visitor Visa?

Persons of foreign nationality who enter Canada by obtaining a Visitor Visa also known as Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) can stay in Canada for a period of 6 months upon and after the date of their first entry. If such a visitor wishes to stay longer than their authorized period of stay, they must apply for an extension and pay the fee for the new application process.

In contrast, a Parent or Grandparent Super Visa enables eligible parents and grandparents to stay in Canada for a period of two years when they initially arrive in Canada but are unable to extend their visa and have to exit the country after two year period is completely.

How can I Determine the Size of my Family for a Super Visa Application

When applying for a super visa, you should include the following people when determining your family size:

  • The child or the grandchild who is inviting you

  • If the child or grandchild inviting who is inviting you is married, their spouse

  • The dependent children of the child or grandchild inviting you

  • The dependent children travelling with you

  • Any person who was or is being sponsored or co-signed by the child or grandchild who is inviting you

Additional Travel Documents Required for Entry in to Canada

You must have a valid passport in order to obtain a visa. It is recommended for most countries that your passport be valid for 6 months from the date of your departure for Canada.

You may require a Temporary Resident Visa if your nationality is not in the list of exempted countries which do not require a Temporary Resident Visa.

If you are a foreign national of a country whose citizens are exempt from obtaining Temporary Resident Visa, then you will require an eTA, which can be obtained by applying online and paying a fee of $7.

Even when you are able to obtain any of the above two required documents, you must be able to enter Canada without any inadmissibility issues. If you do have admissibility issues to enter Canada, you may be required to obtain a Temporary Resident Permit or Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) depending on your situation to overcome your inadmissibility issue. If more than 5 years have passed since you committed and were convicted of your crime for which you have inadmissibility issue, you may opt for Criminal Rehabilitation.

Successful result of the latter will mean you will no longer require a Temporary Resident Permit to order Canada from thereon.

Super Visa Application Processing Times

Currently Citizenship and Immigration Canada is processing applications of Parent and Grandparents Super Visas that were received November 4, 2011. Usually processing times for such applications range from 60 to 180 days; check online on to see the status and stage of your application.

When you arrive at a port of entry in Canada such as an airport, make sure you have all the necessary documents and proof in hand to ensure efficiency and minimum time delays. Be prepared to present your passport and/or other necessary travel documents when requested by an immigration officer. Immigration officers may also ask you for an interview.

Contact Akrami & Associates

A parent and grandparent super visa will enable you and your children to see their grandparents and your parents for up to 10 years. However, an unsuccessful application will hinder future prospects of an application and will cause massive details to other applications. We highly recommend you to contact and seek the help of prominent immigration law firm such as Akrami and Associates to help you with the process.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!

Difference between Temporary Resident Permit and C...
Super Visa Questions

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.