About a Canadian Study Permit - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
6 minutes reading time (1161 words)

About a Canadian Study Permit


Who Can Apply For a Canadian Study Permit?

Have you always wished of pursuing your education in a fun and challenging way? Have you ever thought of travelling to another country for school, to have the opportunity to immerse in another countries culture and lifestyle while also getting to experience all the amazing sights the country has to offer? If so, you may have considered studying in Canada. It is no secret Canada has plenty of beautiful sights, an abundant variety of cultures to experience and an education system that is rivaled by few; it would be the opportunity of a lifetime. Fortunately, the Canadian government knows it is the dream of many foreign nationals to experience Canada while studying within the Canadian system, and so they have allowed people who would like to come for this purpose to apply for a study permit and do so. If you are a foreign national who dreams of studying in Canada, continue reading this article to find out how you can apply for a study permit.

Why Do I Have to Apply For a Study Permit?

Oftentimes, a course will continue for more than 6 months, which is the maximum length of time any visitor; with or without a visitor’s visa, can stay. Therefore, without a study permit, you could only take part in a course which continued for less than 6 months, which is a huge limit on the programs foreign nationals could take part in while in Canada. To study for a period longer than 6 months, you can apply for a study permit  study permit and essentially ask the Canadian government for permission to stay in Canada longer than 6 months to pursue a program of interest to you, and then return to your country of origin. To be clear, if the program you intend to study is shorter than 6 months, you do not have to apply for a study permit. If the officer believes you seek an extended stay in Canada to pursue studies and you are honest in your assertion you will leave once they are over, you are likely to be granted a study permit and have the opportunity to experience the sights, culture, and educational system which are so highly respected worldwide.

How Do I Apply For a Study Permit?

To apply for a study permit, there are a few things you’ll need to collect to submit with your application. These are as follows:

1. a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI),

2. proof that you can finance your stay in Canada, as well as your return to your country of origin,

3. Proof that you will return to your country of origin at the end of your studies. This can be done by showing you have strong ties to your home country which will ensure you return.

Overall, your application should prove that you are an admissible traveler to Canada. To do this, immigration officers may request additional information from you. For example, you may be required provide a medical exam to ensure you are in good health, and will not place excessive demand on the public health services Canada provides. Additionally, it is likely you will be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate to ensure you are not inadmissible to Canada on grounds of criminality. Along with this, an immigration officer has the right to request almost anything to ensure you will not be a risk to the security of Canadians, so it is very important to watch for communications which relay instructions to provide additional information within the requested time period, to avoid extra delays in processing your study permit application.

While I Am Studying In Canada, What Am I Allowed to Do?

Obviously, if you are in Canada on a study permit, you are here to study and can do so lawfully, at the designated learning institution you declared you are a study at when applying for your study permit, in the program of study you initially applied for. If you wish to transfer to another school or change your program of study, you can apply to do so with Canadian immigration services. Generally, you will be permitted to do so; however, you must check this with an Immigration officer so to ensure the changes you wish to make are not in any way objectionable by Canadian immigration services. In other words, these changes cannot make an immigration officer believe your study intentions are not genuine, or, that you no longer intend to leave at the end of your stay. Moreover, these changes must be approved to ensure you do not move to an unregistered learning institution by accident, as this would invalidate your study permit.


What If I Need to Stay Longer Than My Study Permit Allows Me?

If you will not be done you studies before your study permit expires, or you have decided to pursue additional studies while in Canada, it is your responsibility to apply to extend your stay in Canada before your study permit expires. If your study permit has not yet expired you can apply to extend your stay by submitting a new study permit application. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada immediately, and if you wish to pursue more of your education in Canada, you must apply for a new study permit from outside of Canada. If you successfully submit a new study permit application before your current study permit expires, you are allowed to stay in Canada on implied statusimplied status. This means that until a decision is reached on your new study permit application, it is implied that you are a lawful visitor in Canada, and can await your new decision as a visitor with the same standards and requirements of your old study permit.

Contact Akrami and Associates

If you’re someone who has always dreamed of studying in Canada, and would like the chance to experience this country in the future, you’ll need to prepare a comprehensive application to ensure Canadian immigration officers do not deny your wish. Therefore, if you’re thinking about applying, renewing, or changing the terms of your study permit, it is important to have a good understanding of what you’re required to do, and what these changes mean for your status in Canada. Study permit applications are difficult to pursue on your own, especially if you are applying for a permit for the first time, or want to change the terms of your current permit. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients renew, extend and change their study permits. Please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545 for more information, or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Immigrate to Canada with Express Entry
Important Information You Need to Know when Crossi...

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://toimmigrate.com/