How to Apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.

Apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit


Applying For a Post-Graduate Work Permit

Are you an international post-graduate student who has recently graduated from a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI)? If you are a foreign national who attended a Canadian college or university (DLI), you are likely considering what your next steps are. Perhaps you don’t want to return to your country of origin quite yet, because you would prefer to gain some work experience in Canada first. If this is the case for you, there is good news. The Canadian government recognizes many international students would love to continue to experience the Canadian workforce; after all, they just finished studying at a Canadian institution for quite some time. Therefore, they have given the post-graduate work permit program (PGWP), which specifically allows international post-graduate students who have finished studies in Canada, to apply for an open work permit. This blog aims to tell you all you need to know about applying for a PWGP, and what it means to have an open work permit in Canada.

What is an Open Work Permit?

Having an open work permit means an individual is permitted to work for any employer in Canada, who is not listed as an “ineligible employer.” On a PGWP the maximum length of time you will be permitted to work in Canada is 3 years, depending on your program of study. To be clear, the length of time your PGWP will be valid is dependent on how long your study program is. For example, if your program of study was 1 year long, you will only be granted a PGWP for 1 year. Furthermore, if your program of study was 4 years, you will be granted a 3 year PGWP, as this is the maximum length of time a PGWP can possibly be granted.

Continue reading
  2151 Hits

Post-Graduate Work Permit in Canada

Post-Graduate Work Permit in Canada

Steps in Obtaining a Post-Graduate Work Permit in Canada

Many foreign national students who complete their Canadian educational credentials often experience a moment of relief and excitement once they graduate. However, once they finish their studies, they are also often left with the thought “how can I work in Canada?” This is an extremely common question and many students love the idea of extending their stay in Canada to pursue work. In order to work after graduating in Canada, you can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. Therefore, in this article, I will address what a post-graduate work permit is, the eligibility requirements, how to apply for a post-graduate work permit, and more.

What is a Post-Graduate Work Permit

A post-graduate work permit is a work permit that is provided to foreign national students who have graduated from a designated learning institution and would like to stay in Canada to pursue work. However, it is important to note that not all programs offered at a designated learning institution are eligible for a post-graduate work permit. Therefore, it is very important to investigate whether your program is eligible or you may consult with an immigration professional, such as Akrami & Associates, and we will be able to assist you in determining this.

Continue reading
  4044 Hits