Getting Your Credentials Assessed - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
4 minutes reading time (892 words)

Getting Your Credentials Assessed


Immigration and Credentials

Many immigration applications, such as Federal Skilled Worker applications and study permit applications, require applicants to provide their credentials. The credentials refer to the applicant’s education and work experience. If you obtained your credentials outside Canada, the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada will require you to have your credentials assessed. At this point, you may be wondering the importance of having your credentials assessed. Having your credentials assessed will show employers what you are qualified for. That being said, employers will better determine if you need more training, education or Canadian work experience, and if your credentials are equal to the standards set for Canadian workers. In this blog, you will learn information about credential assessment.

Credentials vs. Qualifications vs. Competencies

Immigration terminologies can be confusing to foreign nationals. The meaning of a credential is not necessarily the equivalent of the meaning of a qualification. As a result, it is important for you the fully understand the following terms.


Credentials can either refer to degrees, diplomas, and certificates that you obtained as part of your formal education or to the license, certificate, and registration that shows you are qualified to work in a certain job.


Qualifications refer to your combined credentials, knowledge, skills, and work experience.


Competencies refer to things that you have learned, such as a skill or set of skills, level of knowledge, conduct and practice, and ethical, legal, communication behavioural norms for a specific occupation.

Federal Skilled Workers

If you want to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker federal skilled worker, you will need to get Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs). The Educational Credential Assessments include your completed foreign educational credentials (e.g. a diploma, a certificate, and a degree that you obtained in another country). The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada will use ECAs to ensure your credentials are valid and equal to a completed Canadian credential. On the other hand, you will also need to have your skills and trainings assessed to work in certain jobs in Canada.

Regulated Job Workers

Regulated jobs refer to job that are controlled by provincial, territorial, and sometimes federal laws. Regulated jobs may include architects, plumbers, and engineers. The main purpose of having those jobs regulated by the Canadian government is to protect public health and safety and make sure people working in these jobs are qualified. Each province and territory has different laws in terms of regulated jobs, and therefore, it is important for you to do a thorough research prior to applying for one.

If you want to work in a regulated job, you will need to have your training and skills assessed against the job’s standards. In order to have your training and skills assessed, you need to compare your foreign training with the Canadian equivalent training. Apart from your skills and training assessment, you will also need to provide your original academic transcripts and other related documents, such as university course descriptions.

Other requirements include, having a license or certificate, be registered with the regulatory body for your job in the province or territory where you want to work.

It is important for you to understand that when you are doing the comparison of your credentials with the Canadian credentials, you do not compare them with someone else’s. Each individual has their own unique case; you will be evaluated on your merits.

Non-regulated Job Workers

If you want to work in a non-regulated job, you may find that some employers require the job applicants to be registered or certified by the relevant professional association. This is when having your credentials assessed comes in handy; your credential assessments will allow Canadian employers understand what you are qualified for. After you have obtained your credential assessments, you may include the information in your resume or your CV for your employer’s reference. Please note, job requirements can vary greatly between employers. As a result, it is necessary for you to be fully prepared to prove that you are qualified (have relevant credentials or experience) to do the job.

Studying in Canada

If you want to study in Canada, having your educational credentials assessed is mandatory.

Depending on the school you intent to attend, some post-secondary schools can do the assessment. If you school does not do the assessment, you will need to go to an assessment agency. Generally, an assessment agency will charge a fee for their services, but they do not guarantee they will recognize your qualifications. An assessment agency will make assessments that explain your academic background to employers, post-secondary institutions, and professional bodies, by comparing your foreign academic credentials with the Canadian post-secondary educational system.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Preparing for an immigration application can be confusing, or sometimes, overwhelming. If you misrepresent information, your application can be delayed, or ultimately, refused. Fear not! Akrami and AssociatesAkrami and Associates have dealt with different types of immigration matter. We have helped our clients in their difficult situations and have guided them to draft a more effective application. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents. A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save you from hassle. Please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545 for more information, or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami and Associates, there is always a way!

Business Visitor FAQ
Open Work Permit and Closed Work Permit

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to