Study Permit Questions and Answers - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
5 minutes reading time (1063 words)

Study Permit Questions and Answers

Study Permit Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers for Study Permits

In this article, I will address questions and answers for study permits, as there are several different student circumstances, in order for you to further understand what a study permit entails. A study permit is intended for foreign nationals who wish to come to Canada to pursue an education. It was created to give foreign nationals an opportunity to further their education and careers through a Canadian educational institution. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a study permit, I suggest you read our article on "How can I get a Study Permit for Canada as an International Student" before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to a study permit.

Q: Do I need a study permit before attending any educational institution or are there some exceptions?

A: There are some exceptions to the educational institutions that you may attend, that do not require a study permit. There are some specific courses that do not require a study permit; they are listed below.

You do not need a study permit if you are taking:

  • Preschool

  • A distance learning program

  • Audit courses, such that you are not obtaining credits

  • Courses in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists

  • Courses that are not academic in nature and are of general interest

  • Courses that are not professional or vocational and are of general interest

  • Courses or programs of study which are a maximum duration of six months

For all of the aforementioned courses and programs, you must ensure that they will be completed within the time frame that you are authorized to stay in Canada. Should you need more time to complete these programs, then you may need a study permit or need to extend your stay in Canada.

Q: How do I know if the educational institution that has accepted me is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

This is extremely important to know before applying for a study permit as if the educational institution is not within the list of Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) then unfortunately you will not be approved for a study permit. In order to find out whether the educational institution that has already accepted you is part of the DLI list, you may go on the government website and scroll through their DLI list.

Q: What if my DLI has lost its status as a DLI and I’m already on a study permit within Canada? Am I still allowed to study there?

A: This is a very good question. As long as you have already been issued a study permit, you will be able to continue studying at that educational institution and continue to be enrolled for the duration of your current study permit. As of June 1, 2017, you are unable to renew your study permit in order to complete your program. Unfortunately, if this is the case and you need to complete the program, you will not be able to receive a study permit as it is not on the DLI list.

Q: What if I want to study in Quebec? Do I need a study permit?

For students that wish to apply to study in Quebec, their requirements are different than the rest of Canada. In order to apply or renew a study permit in Quebec, international student must obtain a “Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec” (CAQ) which is issued by the Ministere de l’Immigration, de la Diversite et de l’Inclusion (MIDI). At Akrami & Associates, we mostly deal with study permits apart from Quebec, therefore, for further information on Quebec study permits, please visit the MIDI website.

Q: In order to change my school or educational institution, what do I need to do?

It is extremely important for Immigration to know whether you will be changing institutions as your study permit is specific to one. You must ensure that you have notified Immigration by your account that you submitted your original application and advise them when you will be transferring. Also, it is required that the educational institution be listed on the DLI list, if not the study permit will not be renewed.

Q: Are there specific conditions that I must comply with for a study permit? And if so, what are they?

There are basic conditions that you must comply with when you get a study permit. For instance, you have to ensure that the educational institution is listed on the DLI list, and you must make sure you are diligently working towards completing your intended program, course or degree. For post-secondary applicants, the educational institution will inform and report your continued academic enrolment and status to Immigration. Should you fail to comply with the basic requirements, you will be removed from Canada.

Additionally, there are other conditions that an Immigration officer may impose on you, when you receive your study permit, such as the kind of studies you plan on taking; the educational institution you will be attending; the location of your educational studies; the timeframe of your authorized period for studies; the authorized work conditions attached to your study permit; the specific prohibition of engaging in employment; and/or the authorized duration of visit in Canada.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a study permit, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients travel to Canada with a study permit and they are now happily enjoying their visit in Canada while studying at a Canadian educational institution. If you believe that you may be eligible for a study permit, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Spousal Sponsorship Questions and Answers
Who Needs an Electronic Travel Authorization eTA

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to