Information about the Federal Skilled Trades Program - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
5 minutes reading time (900 words)

Information about the Federal Skilled Trades Program


Obtaining your Permanent Residency with the Federal Skilled Trades Program

If you have dreamed of becoming a permanent resident in Canada, you have many ways to do so. For example, you may apply for business class immigration or family class immigration, given the fact that you are eligible to apply. Express Entry is one of the options. However, Express Entry can be very confusing to many foreign nationals, because there are many categories under it. There are three major programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience ClassCanadian Experience Class. In order to prepare you for your application, it is important for you to recognize and understand the eligibility requirements prior to applying. In this blog, you will learn about eligibility requirements for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, as well as other important information one should know before applying under this economic immigration program.

What is the Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades ProgramFederal Skilled Trades Program is for foreign skilled workers to gain permanent residency in Canada, based on being qualified in a skilled trade. This program selects its applicants based on their skilled work experience, language ability, and education. However, simply meeting these three requirements does not guarantee you will be selected by the Canadian government.

Similar to other express entry programs, if you are eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will be placed in the Express EntryExpress Entry pool with other eligible applicants. Applicants in the pool will be given a rank based on the Comprehensive Ranking SystemComprehensive Ranking System. You will be competing with other applicants, who are also aiming to obtain permanent residency, in the pool. The higher the rank you have, the more likely you will be invited to apply for permanent residency.

The Minimum Requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Skilled work experience

First and foremost, you need to have at least two years of full-time work experience, or an equal amount of part-time work experience, in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply. Apart from the work experience, you will need to have a valid employment offer for a total period of at least one year, or a qualification/certificate issued by a Canadian provincial, federal, or territorial authority. You will also need to meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

The following groups are currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program:

  • major group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • major group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • major group 82: supervisors and technical workers in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • major group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • minor group 632: chefs and cooks
  • minor group 633: butchers and bakers

The National Occupational Classification has an occupational description list that describes the required duties of the aforementioned groups. The applicant will need to prove that he or she has performed all of the essential duties and most of the main duties. Failure to meet the duty requirements set by the NOC will result in the refusal of your application.

Language ability

In order to demonstrate you are proficiency in English or French, you must take language tests that are approved by the Canadian government. The tests for English can be IELTS or CELPIP. The test for French can be TEF. These tests will examine your ability to write, listen, speak, and read in either English or French.


As a matter of fact, there is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. However, if you want to boost your rank in the Express Entry pool, you may provide one of the following:

  • If you completed secondary or post-secondary in Canada, you will need to provide your certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school
  • If you completed your education in a foreign country, you need to have a completed credential. Your foreign credential needs to be written in an Educational Credential Assessment report by an approved agency, showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian or post-secondary school

Other requirements

As previously mentioned, simply meeting the minimum requirements is not sufficient for you to be eligible to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. You must also be admissible to Canada by meeting the conditions in Canada’s Immigration Law. That being said, you cannot have a serious financial problem, a serious health problem, or have criminal inadmissibility. You cannot lie about your application or lie during your interview with an immigration officer, either.

Contact Akrami & Associates

The Federal Skilled Trades application may have many different requirements which may make this type of application confusing, or sometimes, overwhelming. Moreover, the application for Federal Skilled Trades can be difficult when you are doing it on your own. As a result, it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply for Federal Skilled Trades. Akrami & AssociatesAkrami & Associates work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients to obtain their permanent residency with the Federal Skilled Trades Program. Please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545 for more information, or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Information about a Minor’s Study Permit
Who can apply for a Super visa

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to