Working in the U.S | US Work Visa

Every year thousands of Canadians decide to seek employment opportunities in the United States, but finding a job may simply not be enough. Though the U.S. is just a border crossing away, it is still a different country, and has its own laws and regulations.

In order to work in the U.S. legally, you may need a work Visa. There are various options available for Canadians who seek opportunities to the U.S.

Here are some of the options that are available to Canadians:

  • H-1B visa - Canadians who have skills or experience in certain specialty occupation may be able to receive H-1B visa. They may be issued for both full-time and part-time employment.
  • H-2B - this option is available for people who may not have bachelor’s degree or higher education, but may still have a temporary job offer in the U.S.
  • TN visa - directed towards Canadian professionals whose professions are listed under the North American Free Trade Agreement. If these Canadian have a job offer from a U.S. employer, they may be able to qualify for a TN visa.
  • L-1 visa - if there is a company that does business both in Canada and the U.S., and would like to transfer an employee who holds a managerial or executive position. The employee may qualify for an L-1 visa.

There are various options available for Canadian employees planning to work in the U.S., but all the above options come with their own list of documents and forms. These documents may have to be filed before hand or be ready for the officer at the port of entry.

We understand the process can be intimidating, and we can help. You may contact us and our team of professionals will be happy to assist you.