Work Permit | Work Permit

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

What is a Work Permit?

This document allows you to legally work in Canada temporarily. You will still need your visitor visa to live and have as proof of residency in Canada. Not all jobs require you to get a Work Permit. Be sure to check that your employer is not on the ineligible employer’s list.

What do I need to apply for a Work Permit?

No matter where you apply you must:

  • have a job offer and have proof that you will leave Canada once your Work Permit expires
  • prove that you have enough finances to support yourself and family members during stay and to return home
  • abide by the law and have no record of criminal activity and not be a danger to Canada’s security
  • be in good health and be able to take medical exam if needed
  • not plan to work for an ineligible employer
  • not plan to work for an employer who offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic messages
  • not have worked in Canada for a total period time of four years
  • provide any other documents to prove you can enter the country

What I should know before applying

Your employer may need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment in order to hire you as a foreign worker. If you are exempt from LMIA your employer must pay an employer compliance fee and submit an offer of employment form to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If you are applying for an open Work Permit you do not need to submit documents from an employer. You free to work if your employer is not on the ineligible list.

You must meet the requirements to enter the country, stay in Canada, and get a Work Permit. The permit does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. Your spouse, common-law partner, and your dependent children can apply to come with you.

How to apply for a Work Permit:

You apply online or on paper. You normally have to apply for a Work Permit outside of Canada. There are times when you can apply as you enter Canada or from inside Canada.

  • Applying from outside you must have legal status in the country you live in.
  • Applying as you enter you can ask the Canadian port of entry for approval to work in Canada. No application form need here but you must still pay a processing fee and show the same required documents.
  • Applying inside apply online or mail your application to Case Processing Centre Vegreville, Alberta