Post Grad Work Permit | Work Permit

What is a Post Grad Work Permit?

Once you have graduated from a post-secondary institution and wish to work in Canada, you need to be in possession of a Post Grad Work Permit in order to work within Canada. You can apply for a Post Grad Work Permit from the Post Grad Work Permit Program.

Can you apply for a Post Grad Work Permit Program?

You cannot apply for the program if:

  • You are part of a Commonwealth Scholarship Program or an Award Program that is fuelled by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trades
  • You are part of a distance-learning program.
  • You have a previous post-grad work permit

Changes in Requirements For Receiving a Post Grad Work Permit:

In order to ensure that there is a lesser chance to misuse the Post Grad Work Permit Program and ensure that Canada’s reputation for having a high standard of education remains intact, changes were made to the program on June 1st, 2014. These changes are in the following areas:

  • Studying In Canada
  • You will have to be enrolled in a post-secondary institution and make progress towards completing your education otherwise; you may be kicked out of the program and will have to exist Canada.
  • The study permit will only be valid for 90 days after the program is completed (unless you applied before June 2014).
  • Ensuring that you study program is from a Designated Learning Institution
  • To apply for the study permit after June 2014, you will have to have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institute for international student otherwise; you will not be granted the study permit.
  • If you applied for a permit before June 2014 but your institute is not designated for international students, there are exceptions that allow you to study and complete your program but not beyond June 2017.
  • Applying for a Study Permit after June 2014
  • You will need to write the designated learning institution number of your institution on your application form.
  • You will need to prove that you can pay for your studies and living expenses while in Canada.
  • You will need to prove that you will obey all laws and regulations while in Canada and may have to provide a background check.
  • You need to prove that you are in good health and will leave Canada when your study period ends.
  • Change in Institution
  • In the event you change your institution, it is up to you to ensure that your institution meets all the requirements set up within your study permit
  • Working Outside Campus
  • New changes allow that you can now work more easily outside campus than before.
  • Co-op Programing
  • Changes in the program mean that after June 2014, you may only join co-op if it is required for your program of study.
  • Applying from Canada
  • In certain cases, if you are visiting Canada and wish to study in Canada, you can apply for a study permit.

Confused? Need More Information?

We understand that going through this process can be tough, especially when you have little knowledge of the law. Studying is an important matter that determines your future and it can be very complicated and stressful to have to worry about ensuring that all your documents and work details are in order and therefore, having a professional guide you through the process a long the way can be very assuring. At Akrami & Associates, we have experienced immigration representatives that will guide you through the whole process and help you attain the result you desire.