What is a B1 Visa? | US Work Visa

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: info@TheVisa.ca || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Do you need to enter the U.S. for reasons of business? Will this visit be for a short period of time? If this is the case, you may need to apply for a Visitor for Business Visa.

A B-1 visa allows a person to visit the U.S. for the purposes of participating in business activities which may include,

  • Consulting with business associates;
  • Conducting negotiations;
  • Estate transactions;
  • Attending conferences or conventions;
  • Training; and
  • Conducting research.

It is important to differentiate a Business Visitor Visa and a Work Visa. As the list above suggests, the reasons for entering the U.S. as a Business Visitor is usually short-term. You will only be permitted to stay for, generally, a period of six months. An extension may be granted if you have good reasons for extending your stay. Some of the work that you cannot do in the U.S. on a Visitor on a Business Visa is,

  • Enter the US Labor Market
  • Run a business

Essentially, anything that involves work that will result in paid wages, unless the wage comes from a source outside of the U.S., is not permitted.

There are some countries that may not require you to have a Work Visa as part of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program. These counties include, but are not limited to,

  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom

In order to have your visa waived, you will have to hold a return or onward ticket to a country other than Canada through a participating travel airline. It is important to note that, if you are entering through the waived program, you must still meet the requirements of the B-1 as any other person would.

If you require further information regarding the B-1 visa or how to work in the U.S., at Akrami & Associates, one of our legal representatives may be of assistance to you. Call today to see how we can help.