How Do I Qualify for a Working Visa? | US Work Visa

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

If you are seeking to work in the United States, there are a couple of categories that you may choose from that are applicable to you. You can do so through,

1. Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Workers Program

2. Permanent Workers Program

If you wish to work temporarily in the United States, your employer will have to file a Nonimmigrant Petition for you with USCIS. Depending upon which classified worker you are, there will be different qualifications that must be met. For example, one of the workers on the list provided by USCIS is the H-1B.

For this category you must have highly specialized knowledge in a field such as, science, engineering, or computer programming. The qualifications would then be,

  • Having a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent
  • Working in a specialty occupation, as mentioned above (not exhaustive)
  • Earning a wage

Once you have determined your qualification, you may petition for the H-1B and provide the necessary supporting documentations.

Other types of worker in the Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Workers Program is,

  • Intracompany transferees in managerial or executive positions (L-1A)
  • North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) temporary professionals from Mexico and Canada (TN)
  • Registered nurses working in a health professional shortage area as determined by the U. S Department of Labor (H-1C)

If you wish to work in the United States and stay permanently, you may be able to do so depending upon your:

  • Skills
  • Education
  • Work experience

There are five employment-based immigrant visa preferences in terms of permanent workers. These five are,

1. Those with extraordinary skills in; science, arts, education, business, athletics etc… (EB-1)

2. Those with advanced degrees or having exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business (EB-2)

3. Professionals, skilled workers, or other workers (detailed definitions can be found on USCIS)

4. Special immigrants such as, certain religious workers and retired employees of international organizations

5. Business investors who invest $500,000 or $1,000,000

Whether you wish to work in the United States as a temporary or permanent worker, at Akrami & Associates we can assist you with any difficulties you may have. Call now to see how we can help.