Preparing I-130 Petition | US Family Class

You may have to file an I-130 if you are U.S. Citizen or a Green Card holder and want to bring your spouse to the U.S.

The Petition I-130 is the first step in filing an application to sponsor your wife or husband. This petition will be mailed to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

The petition would require you (sponsor) to provide the following information:

  • Legal names;
  • Current Marital status;
  • Previous marriages;
  • Name of previous spouse;
  • Reason for the previous marriage ending; and
  • If you received permanent residence through marriage.

The beneficiary (spouse of the U.S. Citizen or permanent resident) they may be asked for the following:

  • Legal names;
  • Current marital status;
  • Previous marriages;
  • The Alien Registration Number ( provided by USCIC);
  • Previous attempts made to enter U.S. ( it may seem negative if you have, but you have to disclose);
  • Native language; and
  • If you are already in the U.S., you may have to state how you arrived.

This is just a short list of what the I-130 petition consists of, the application itself is extremely detailed, and it may seem overwhelming.

We can help, if you require assistance completing the application or have any questions about the sponsoring your spouse or family members. You can contact us and our team of professionals will be happy to assist you.