How We Can Help With a Family Class Application | US Family Class

If you want to sponsor your loved ones to the U.S. to become a permanent resident, there are a few things you should know. For family class, you may be permitted to sponsor,

  • Your parents
  • Your children
  • Son or daughter
  • Your spouse
  • Your siblings
  • Your fiancée you will be marrying

Depending on whether you are a citizen or a permanent resident, you may only be permitted certain members of your family. If you are a citizen, you will be allowed to sponsor any member of your family from the list above. However, if you are a green card holder, you will only be allowed to sponsor your spouse or unmarried children, son, or daughter.

To apply, you will have to petition through Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relatives. This form will have to be filed for each family member that you wish to sponsor to the U.S. If your family is outside of the U.S., your petition will be sent to the National Visa Center.

If your family member is already legally in the U.S., they can apply to change their status using Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

It is important to understand who is considered "children" and who are considered "son or daughter". In U.S. immigration, "children" means an unmarried child less than twenty one years of age. "Son or Daughter" is defined as being married and/or over the age of twenty one.

Once your applications have been submitted, depending on where your family falls into on the preference category, the processing time will differ. Beyond your immediate family and dependents, the first preference category is unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, while the second preference category is spouses of green card holders, unmarried children of permanent residents.

Although at first glance, sponsoring your family may seem simple enough, there are documentations that you will have to submit in order to prove your case. The task may become time consuming and frustrating.

At Akrami & Associates, we understand the value to family reunification. Call us today and let one of our legal representatives assess your case and process any applications you may need help with.