How Do I Bring My Spouse to Live the U.S.? | US Family Class

If you wish to bring your spouse to the U.S. to live with you, you can do so by completing the forms to petition your relative. Depending upon your status in the U.S., the forms and processes will differ.

If you are a citizen of the U.S., you will complete Form I-130. Your form will need to be sent to a lockbox depending on your situation and the forms you are submitting. For example,

  • If you live in Texas and you are only submitting the Form I-130, you will be sending it to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
  • If however, you live in Illinois, you will be sending it to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox
  • If you are filing Form I-130 with Form I-145, regardless of where you live, you will be sending your forms to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox

If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you can petition for your spouse to live in the U.S. by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Along with Form I-130, you should also provide the following,

  • Proof of your status as a permanent resident
  • Evidence of your relationship
  • Proof of any legal name changes of you or your spouse

If you are a temporary (nonimmigrant) worker or a foreign student, you can have your dependent spouse accompany you to live in the U.S. while you are there as well. This being said, their status is different in that, as the title suggests, they are dependent. This means that you spouse will only be permitted to live with you, without working.

Depending upon what class of temporary worker you are, the forms will vary. For example, if you are a Temporary or seasonal agricultural worker (H-2A), you will need to complete form H-4.

If you require additional information regarding your spouse and the circumstances you two find yourself in, at Akrami & Associates, our legal professionals will be happy to help. Call us today to book a consultation and let us help you find a way.