Family Based Green Card | US Family Class

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

There are two categories for sponsoring your family members.

  • Immediate Relatives – spouse, unmarried dependent children, parents
  • Family preference- married children, siblings etc.

Under both these categories there are ways that you may be able to become a green card holder. Although, in most cases visa numbers are always available to immediate relatives

Immediate relatives may be eligible to apply for a green card from within U.S.

  • They would have to file form I-485, which is an Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status to become a permanent resident.
  • As the immediate relative of the family member you may file I-485, anytime after the U.S. citizen has filed the petition for Alien relative, and as long as I-130 has not been denied.
  • If I-130 has been approved you may apply for a green card though consular processing outside of the U.S.
  • Concurrent filling may also be available for immediate relatives.

Family Preference includes relatives not considered immediate relatives. You may follow the following steps to get a green card:

  • The U.S. citizen would have to file I-130 and it would have to be approved.
  • Second you have to wait for your priority date, and once you get your priority date, you may be able to file I-485.
  • If you are outside of U.S. you may be able to apply through consular processing.

It is important to note that the number of immigrants accepted under the family preference category is limited, and there is waiting period to receive a visa number.

We can help you throughout the process, and guide you in the right direction. If you require any assistance with your application, you can contact us and our team of professionals will be happy to assist you.