F4 Family Based Petition | US Family Class

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: info@TheVisa.ca || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

In the family class, there are five categories of persons you may sponsor to the U.S. These classes are categorized as,

  • IR, Immediate Relative

            o This is your spouse, children (unmarried and under 21), or parents (if you are 21 and over) of U.S. citizens

  • F-1, First Preference

            o This could be unmarried, adult sons and daughters (adult means over 21) of U.S. citizens

  • F-2A, Second Preference

            o This can be spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents

  • F-2B, Second Preference

            o Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents

  • F-3, Third Preference

            o Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens

  • F-4, Fourth Preference

            o Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

The F4 family based petition will allow you to petition for your sibling(s) to join you in the U.S. as a green card holder, which will give them permanent resident status.

Like the other family classes, you, the citizen (also called the petitioner), will file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relatives. When the petition is approved, you sibling will have to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status, in order to change their status to permanent resident.

It is important to note that additional documents will be required for those who wish to sponsor their adopted sibling, half sibling, or step-sibling. Some of these documents include,

  • A copy of the adoption decree to establish that the adoption took place before either of you became sixteen years of age
  • If it is your step-sibling, you will have to provide documents to show that,

o Any prior marriage of your natural parent and step-parent were legally terminated; and

o The marriage certificate showing that your parent married your step-parent

  • If you and your half sibling have a common father but different mothers, you must submit,

o Copies of the marriage certificate of each mother to the father; and

o Any prior marriage your mother or father had was legally terminated

Recent news, regarding the sponsorship of siblings, states that the F4 family based petition may be terminated. In a vision to increase the amount of skilled workers to the U.S., the government is suggesting that the F4 class should be terminated. This should be kept in mind if you are looking to sponsor your sibling.

For further assistance, please contact Akrami & Associates. With the aid of our experienced legal staff, there is always a way.