How to Get a Temporary Resident Permit | Temporary Resident Permit

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

There are two ways you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP); at a Canadian Consulate in your home country, or at a Port of entry.

If you wish to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) at a Canadian Consulate, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. This includes,

  • Taking into consideration the processing time
  • What justification you will provide
  • How long you will need to stay in Canada

When applying at a Canadian Consulate, you should keep in mind that you will need time to gather your supporting documents, completing the application, and wait for a verdict. If you know that you need to be in Canada one year from today, you should begin preparing everything in a timely manner.

A Temporary Resident Permit will be granted only if you can show that your reason for coming overrides the risk you present to Canada. Regardless of how you see yourself or how minor the reason for your inadmissibility is, you need to show that you will behave accordingly when you enter Canada and that your purpose for coming is legitimate.

A Temporary Resident Permit will normally only allow you to stay in Canada for up to six months. If your purpose will exceed this time, you should determine what other options are available to you or how to extend your stay. The TRP permit itself can be issued for a maximum of 3 years.

If you need to come to Canada on an emergency, you may wish to make your application at a Port of Entry. The same information above applies to you, except that you will be directly making your case to a border officer and you will be admitted immediately if the officer allows you to. You will still only be allowed to stay for up to six months and you will still have to show that your reason for coming is important enough to outweigh the risk you present.

If you need further guidance on how to apply for a temporary resident permit and what options are available to you, contact Akrami & Associates today for a consultation. With the help of our legal representatives, there is always a way.