Super Visa Frequently Asked Questions | Super Visa

What is the difference between the Super Visa and Regular Visa?

A Super Visa is geared specifically to Grandparents and Parents of Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents while a regular visa or Visitor Visa is open to anyone who requires it to enter Canada temporarily.

Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee.

With the Super Visa, parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status. Also, the Super Visa can be granted for up to ten (10) years. This means that your parent or grandparent can remain in Canada for this extended period of time with only the need to renew their Super Visa every two years as oppose to six months.

Further, the Super Visa is also a Multiple-Entry visa and therefore allows your parent or grandparent to enter and exit Canada at their convenience for the duration of their Super Visa.

Do I still need a Super Visa if I do not need a Visitor Visa?

That depends on your purpose in Canada and how long you intend on visiting. Remember, you will first need to determine whether or not you meet the qualifications of a Super Visa. Firstly, that you are the parent or grandparent of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

If this applies to you, and you want the ability to remain in Canada for more than six months or want the ability to visit Canada over a long period of time to be with family, than yes, you will still need a Super Visa.

How do I apply for a Super Visa?

In order to apply for a Super Visa, you will be applying as a Temporary Resident and will also need to meet these requirements as well. To apply for a Temporary resident visa you must:

  • Apply at a Canadian visa office;
  • undergo a medical examination;
  • provide proof that you have Canadian medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year; and
  • provide the supporting documents required, including
    • proof of your relationship to a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and
    • proof that he or she will support you financially during your stay in Canada.