Before applying for a student permit you must check you eligibility first. To be eligible to study in Canada:
- You have to be accepted by a designated learning institute in Canada.
- Must prove that you have enough money to pay for
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come to Canada with you
- Return transportation for yourself as well as for the family that came with you
- Must be a good citizen who abides the law with no criminal record
- Must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination if needed
- Must convince immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of authorized stay
After checking your eligibility you must get the right documents. To apply for a study permit you need the following documents:
- Proof of acceptance: along with your study permit application you must include the original letter of your acceptance that the college or university has sent you
- Proof of identity: you must provide a valid passport or travel document that allows you to return to the country that issued it. Citizens of US, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and Greenland do not need a passport but need proof of status and citizenship. Two recent passport sized photo. The name and birth of the person should be written in the back.
- Proof of financial support: you must prove you can have the sufficient funds to support yourself. Proof can include:
- Proof of Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada
- Proof of student/education loan from a financial institutions;
- Bank statement from the past four months
- Bank draft in in convertible currency
- Letter of explanation: there are benefits of having study permits even if you don’t need one. You can be able to work part time or full-time. If you are applying for a study permit for that reason you must write a letter explaining why you are applying for a study permit.
If you are looking at filing a study permit application, we can help you! Contact us today and speak to one of our expert Immigration Representative.