Do I Need A Study Permit If I Have A Temporary Visa? | Study Permit

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

You may be allowed to take a program that is less than 6 months, and does not lead to degree or diploma without a Study Permit. Any study program longer than 6 months would require you to apply for a Study Permit, which is separate from a Temporary Resident Visa.

Usually people who are not Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada would require a TRV, unless they are from a visa exempt country. In order for you to gain entry into Canada with a TRV, you need to satisfy the officer of the fact that you are here on a temporary bases.

There is a list of documentation you could provide in order to make your application stronger, and increase your chances to enter Canada. A TRV only allows you to visit Canada for a temporary basis. Visitors who enter Canada with a TRV are usually restricted in the length of their stay, which is a maximum up to 6 months.

On the other hand, if you apply for a Study Permit, you may still require a TRV, but the length of your stay is extended according to the study program you are enrolled in. One of the main requirements for applying for a Study Permit is a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). You may be required to prove that you will be leaving at the end of your study programs.

If you have any further questions about the list of required documents or about temporary resident visa and Study Permits in general. You can email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or contact us at 1-877-820-7121 or 416-477-2545. Our team of experienced professionals will be happy to answer any of you questions.