How can you sponsor your parent to come to Canada?
You may be able to sponsor your parent(s) to come to Canada as a Permanent Resident if:
- You are currently living in Canada
- You are 18 years or older
- You are a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident
- You do not receive any government financial assistance
- You are a responsible tax payer
- Your credit history is in good standing
- You meet the minimum necessary income needed in order to sponsor- must meet this requirement for the 3 years prior to applying to sponsor
- You are able to show you can provide all basic needs for your parent(s) upon arrival- this includes: food, shelter, clothes and transportation. On top of all the basic need requirements your parent(s) will be able to take advantage and have access to Canada’s healthcare benefits once they are here.
When would I not be able to sponsor my parent(s) to come to Canada?
You may NOT be eligible to sponsor your parents if:
- You have failed to prove that you can financially support your parent(s)
- You haven’t paid any court-ordered supports- such as child support or alimony
- You happen to receive any government assistance for anything other than disability
- You have been convicted of a criminal offence- and have yet to have a pardon
- You are in prison, or;
- You have declared bankruptcy and have not been released of it yet
What do you need to know about being a parental sponsor?
In order to be able to sponsor your parent(s) to come to Canada you first must have an agreement signed that will show your commitment to provide financial support if it is needed. Within the same agreement there should be a section that states that your parent(s) will make every effort possible to try to support themselves. This agreement is for a period of 3-10 years which will depend on their relationship to you as well as their age. The time will start the day that they become Permanent Residents.
Unlike other sponsorship types there is a large financial requirement that needs to be met before you will be able to sponsor your parents. Your financial situation can be shown in many different ways such as:
- Submitting your banking information
- Statement(s) of income
- Pay stubs
- Tax information
- Proof of any of your assets
How much money do I need to have in order to have a successful sponsorship?
The annual financial requirements that have to be met for parental sponsorship are set out below as per the size of the family unit:
- 1 person- $23,298
- 2 people- $29,004
- 3 people- $35,657
- 4 people- $43,292
- 5 people- $49,102
- 6 people- $55,376
- 7 people- $61,656
- There is also an additional charge of $6,268 per any extra person after 7 people.
We understand that this process includes a lot of different steps that maybe other sponsorship applications may not have. These different financial steps can be tricky and confusing. We have the experience and ability to help you along any step of the way. We have had the pleasure in helping many other families in the same situation as you, whom have had positive outcomes.