How to Sponsor My Parents to Canada Permanently | Parental Sponsorship

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

How to Sponsor My Parents to Canada Permanently

After being closed down for two years, the Parents and Grandparents Program has been re-opened in 2014. As of 2014, the cap on this program is five thousand, which means that, those who wish to sponsor their parents or grandparents as Permanent Residents, must do so quickly before the cap is reached.

As I earlier mentioned, sponsoring your parents or grandparents in this program will give them Permanent Resident status and therefore, they will be eligible for Canadian citizenship. It is important to differentiate this program with the Super Visa. As opposed to the Parents and Grandparents Program, the Super Visa is essentially an extended Visitor’s Visa.

Before applying to sponsor your parents or grandparents, you should determine whether or not the person you sponsor simply wish to see you occasionally, and without the hassle of making an application every time they wish to visit, or if it is their intent to remain in Canada permanently. If it is permanence that they seek, then this program will be an option for them.

If you wish to sponsor your parents or grandparents, there are some requirements you should keep in mind. Some conditions are as follows,

  • You must be at least eighteen years old
  • You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • You must live in Canada
  • You must sign an undertaking which states that you will provide the basic necessities for the person you are sponsoring
  • You must sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring stating that each of you understand your shared duties and responsibilities
  • You must show that you meet the minimum income requirement as set out on the Low Income Cut-Off table

It is important to note that, similar to other sponsorships, you know that you are not barred from sponsoring. In addition to this, you may want to consider having a co-sponsor, if you do not meet the minimum income requirement.

If you wish to find out more, at Akrami & Associates, our experienced legal representatives can help you. Call us today to book a consultation.