What happens if I overstay in the U.S.? | Overstay in the USA

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: info@TheVisa.ca || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

You have been admitted into the U.S. but you over stayed your visit, now what happens? It is important that you understand the ramifications of staying in the U.S. illegally. These are the possible consequences of overstaying in the U.S.

  • You may be bar from returning to the U.S. A three year bar may apply if you have exceeded your visit for more than 180 days, but you leave before any action was taken.
  • If your status is expiring, you have an option to extend you stay or change your status. However, if you overstay after your status expires, and do not file for renewal before the expiration, then you may not be able to make a renewal application.
  • Your current status may become void if you overstay for a short period. You may have to exist U.S and apply for a new status.
  • You may have to return to your home country, if you have overstayed. You may not be able to apply for a new status from within or nearby U.S.
  • You may be considered inadmissible, and you may need U.S. Waiver to re-enter from Canada

As you may see, the consequences of overstaying your visit can be harsh. Therefore, you need to careful, and understand the terms of your status.

It is important that you act fast and submit the correct application, if you have been deemed inadmissible. If you are facing inadmissibility issues, contact us, and we will help you sort out your next steps.