How We Can Help With an Overstay | Overstay in the USA

If you entered the U.S. on a work permit or as a visitor, you are expected to leave at the end of your stay. On being admitted entry to the U.S., a condition of your entry is that you agree to leave once your authorized time is up.

There are four consequences to overstaying your time in the U.S. These include,

  1. Being barred from returning to the U.S. for either three or ten years
  2. Being restricted from extending your stay or changing your status
  3. Voiding your visa
  4. Losing your rights to apply at a U.S. Consulate closest to you

Depending upon the length of time you overstayed, you may be barred from the U.S. for three or ten years. If you have overstayed for more than 180 days but less than one year, you will be barred for three years. However, any person who overstays beyond that time will be barred for ten years.

Whereas, before the expiration of your visa, you are permitted to petition to extend your stay or change your status, you may no longer do so.

In terms of your visa, it will be automatically voided. You will not be permitted to enter again until you are approved for a new nonimmigrant visa from their home country.

The final consequence is that you cannot make an application to the closest U.S. Consulate. You will now have to go back to your home country in order to obtain a visa instead of being able to apply at a more closer or convenient U.S. Consulate.

If you wish to overcome your ban from the U.S., at Akrami & Associates, we can help. One of our experienced legal representatives will gladly assist you with your waiver application. Call us today to find out more.