Live-in Caregiver Changing Jobs | Live-in Caregiver Work Permit

You may wonder at some time during your employment as a Live-in Caregiver whether or not you may change employers. The simple answer is yes, you may.

In order to change employers, you must find a new employer willing to hire you. You and your new employer would sign an employment contract and then your new employer would have to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment. If a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (also called a confirmation letter) is received then you must apply for a new work permit.

It is important to discuss other steps that must be taken in order to successfully transition from one employer to another. An important document you must request from your employer before leaving is a Record of Employment.

A Record of Employment should indicate,

  • Why you are leaving
  • Can be for personal or other reasons
  • How many hours you have worked
  • What your gross earnings were
  • What amount was paid to you at the time you left, or that was payable to you at the time you left

A Record of Employment can only be issued by your employer and it is their legal responsibility to complete one for you. In addition to a Record of Employment, you must also request that your employer complete a document indicating the number of overtime hours you have worked (if applicable).

Both of these documents must be kept and presented in your application as proof of the numbers of hours you have worked if you wish to apply for Permanent Resident in the future.

If you find yourself in a position where you cannot find a new employer and your work permit is expiring, you may apply for a bridge extension. Although this does not allow you to work, it does give you the opportunity to remain in Canada legally, and to therefore find a new employer.

If you wish for more information concerning your situation or how the application process works, please feel free to call Akrami & Associates and let our experienced legal representatives assist you.