PR with Live in Caregiver | Live-in Caregiver Program

If you have been working in Canada as a Live-in Caregiver, you have obtained the necessary authorization to work in Canada and obtain valuable work experience in the field.

Once you have obtained the necessary amount of time working in Canada, you can qualify to obtain your permanent resident status in Canada.

The Live-in Caregiver Program takes into account your valuable contribution to Canada and offers the ability for you to remain in Canada permanently through two options, depending on the nature of your time worked in Canada.

The two options are:

1. Having completed 24 months of authorized full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within four years from the date you entered Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program, OR

2. Having completed a total of 3,900 hours (within a minimum of 22 months) of full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within four years from the date you entered Canada under the Program.

You will need to demonstrate these hours worked based on references from your employer, time sheets, and other such documentation that can proves that you meet the above requirements.

Aside from this and the required list of documents, you will also have to undergo police and medical checks.

In order to obtain a medical exam, you will need to go to a panel physician. A panel physician is one designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to perform such exams. Unfortunately, not just any doctor will do. The results of your exam will be send directly to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for assessment.

Police clearances are obtained by contacting your local police authorities and following their process to obtain said checks. Each authority is different so be sure to contact them directly to find out what they require in order for you to obtain the documentation you will need.

Depending on your medical and police history, you may be found either admissible or inadmissible based on the outcome. If you are found inadmissible, you may require further authorization to enter Canada; this document is known as a Temporary Resident Permit.