Intra-Company Transferees Basics | Intra-Company Transferees

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Canada has a number of programs put in place to facilitate the entry of temporary foreign workers, who will benefit the Canadian economy. One such program is the Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) program. Intra-company transferee means a person who is sent to work for the same company in a different country. These people do not need a labour market opinion (LMO). This means that Canadian employers do not need to have a job offer approved by Employment and Social Development Canada to hire a worker.

So to work as an Intra-company transferee in Canada you must:

  • Work for the same company ongoing bases, for at least one year in the last three years for the same or related employer in the United States or Mexico
  • Be transferred to Canada to work short term for the same employer or the related employer
  • Work as be transferred to Canada to work short term for the same or a related employer,
  • Work as a manager, as an executive or in a job that uses specialized knowledge, and
  • Have a work permit.

Work Permits for Intra-Company Transferee

In order for the foreign worker to receive a Work Permit the Canadian business will have to demonstrate a qualifying relationship with its foreign counterpart, as well as a qualifying relationship with its employee.

Work permits for Intra-Company Transferees will be valid for up to three years. Intra-company Transferees entering Canada to open or work in a new office will be granted permits valid for up to one year.

Intra-Company Transferee Work permit Extensions

If the company wants their foreign employee to stay bit longer then they must seek extension for work permit which may be granted for up to two years at a time. Executives can be granted permits for up to seven years. Specialized knowledge workers can receive permits valid for up to five years in total.