Green Card Status | Green Card Employment Based

There are several ways to obtain a green card. There are three main categories, and one that incorporates several miscellaneous and special circumstances. These four include,

  1. Green card through family
  2. Green card through job
  3. Green card through refugee or asylee status
  4. Other ways to get a green card

The most common way to obtain a green card status, which means that you are a permanent resident of the U.S. and able to work and live there permanently, is through the family class. This means that, at one point, you were sponsored by your:

  • Spouse
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Son or daughter

Another common way for you to get green card status is through work. This could be obtaining your green card through,

  • A job offer
  • Investment
  • Self-petition
  • Special categories of work

A less common form of green card status is through entering the U.S. as a refugee or if you were granted asylum. After one year of entering the U.S. as a refugee, you and certain qualifying family members, can apply for permanent residence. This is similar for those granted asylum. After one year of being granted asylum, you may petition for permanent residence.

Other ways to receive a green card is a special category that allows certain persons to become permanent residents. Some of these include,

  • K nonimmigrant which allows fiancées to be come to the U.S. to get married

            o This also includes accompanying minor children

  • Battered spouse or child
  • Person born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S.
  • Armed forces member
  • Widows of U.S. citizens

As you can see, there are many ways to obtain a green card for the U.S. If you require assistance regarding your own situation and how you can obtain a green card, contact Akrami & Associates today.