Green Card Renewal | Green Card Employment Based

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

A green card is an identification card that classifies a person as a permanent resident of the U.S. and, therefore, allows that person to work and live permanently in the U.S.

If you are a ten year green card holder and your green card is expired or will expire in the next six months, then you may begin your application to renew your card. The form for this renewal is Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This can be done either,

  • Online
  • By paper

There are a couple of other situations that may be applicable to you and should be kept in mind. Two circumstances that may apply to you that do not follow the same procedures as the one mentioned above is if,

  • You are a conditional resident
  • You are outside the U.S.

If you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring, you will have to complete Form 1-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, within ninety days of the expiration date in order to remove the conditions on your status. There are no renewal procedures for a conditional resident, once you successfully remove the two year condition on your status, you will be able to continue as a permanent resident.

If you are outside of the U.S. and your card will be expiring in six months, but you will return before the card expires, then you should immediately make an application upon returning to the U.S. However, if your green card expires while you are outside the U.S., you should contact the closest USCIS office, U.S. Consulate, or a U.S. port of entry.

Once you have submitted your application, you may check the status online at My Case Status found on USCIS.

For further assistance regarding your green card, contact Akrami & Associates. One of our experienced legal professionals will be happy to help. Call now to book a consultation.