Are you Eligible For Federal Skilled Trades Program | Federal Skilled Trades Program

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Canada is a country that offers individuals many opportunities. The vast number of opportunities, specifically job opportunities, is one of the reasons that Canada has a thriving economy.

If you have experience and training in a particular trade or occupation and feel that you can contribute to Canada’s growing economy, then immigrating to Canada may be an option for you. This is if you are interested in becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada. If you have experience in a particular skilled trade, then the Federal Skilled Trades Program may be a way you can obtain Permanent Resident status in Canada. The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become Permanent Residents based on having experience and qualification in a particular skilled trade.

The skilled trades eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are under these major groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72 – industrial, electrical, and construction trades
  • Major Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production
  • Major Group 92 – processing, manufacturing, and utilities supervisors and central control operators

Am I Eligible For The Federal Skilled Trades Program?

One of the first questions you must ask yourself in any type of immigration application is whether you are eligible to apply under the specific route or category you are considering as a possibility for you. Like any other immigration program under Citizenship and Immigration Canada, this is a question you must ask yourself if you are thinking of applying under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

To apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec;
  • You must meet the required levels in either English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening);
  • You must have at least two years of full-time work experience or an equal amount of part-time work experience in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply;
  • You meet all the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC); and
  • You have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year, or a certificate of qualification for that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.

Only a province or territory can issue a certificate of qualification in the skilled trades. The province or territory will assess your training, experience and skills and make a decision regarding whether you are eligible to write an exam to be certified for the particular skilled trade. In this case, you may need to have access to an employer in Canada who is willing to give you the required experience and training you will need.

It is also important to note that under the Federal Skilled Trades Program the requirement for full-time work experience means at least 30 hours of work per week or an equal amount of hours in part-time work. Also the work has to be paid work experience.

Also, another point to note that could apply to your situation is that a maximum of two employers can agree to employ you for at least one year of continuous work experience, either full-time or equivalent hours in part-time.

At Akrami & Associates, our team of legal professionals has the knowledge, skills, and expertise to help you achieve your immigration needs and goals. We are a dedicated team that will put together a strong and compelling application for you that will give you the best chance of receiving a positive determination on your application.