Entering Canada after DUI | Denied Entry To Canada

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: info@TheVisa.ca || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

In Canada, impaired driving is a serious criminal offence. This is why, if you wish to come to Canada, you should be aware of any past offences or arrests that may be on your record. If you do have a Drinking Under the Influence (DUI) conviction or arrest, this may band you from coming to Canada, which means you might be denied or refused entry into Canada.

If this is the situation you find yourself in, there are a few solutions available to you. You can apply,

  • For a record suspension (previously called a pardon)
  • To be rehabilitated or be deemed rehabilitated
  • For a Temporary Resident Permit

A record suspension can be applied to the Parole Board of Canada and will allow you to have your previous convictions cleared. In order to be eligible, you must have completed your sentence and have shown good character ever since.

  • If several years have passed by, then you may be eligible to apply for rehabilitation (how many years is dependent upon the offence you committed). This will also take away your criminal inadmissibility. Depending upon how many years have passed by, you can either,
  • Make an application and wait to get approved; or
  • Go to a Canadian border and make a case to be deemed rehabilitated

Being deemed rehabilitated means that many years have passed by and you have shown yourself to be an exemplary character ever since.

Your final option is to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. This will allow you to temporarily enter Canada for a reason that is important enough to override the risk that you may pose to Canada and her citizens.

Often times it is difficult to determine which option is the right solution for you. This is why, at Akrami & Associates, our legal representatives can be of assistance. With our collective knowledge, we can make your experience quick and easy. Call today to find out more.