Overcoming Inadmissibility to Canada - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Phone: 416-477-2545  || E: info@TheVisa.ca || Book a ConsultationBook a Consultation

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.
Font size: +
4 minutes reading time (857 words)

Overcoming Inadmissibility to Canada


Some people are not allowed to come to Canada. They are “inadmissible” under Canada’s immigration law. There are different reasons they may not let you into Canada, such as security, criminal or medical reasons.

A Canadian immigration officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you:

  • arrive at a port of entry.
  • apply for a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or

Continue reading below about what it means to inadmissible and your options…….

Why you could be found inadmissible

If you’re found inadmissible, you’ll be denied a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), refused entry or removed from Canada

You could be found inadmissible for a number of reasons, such as:

  • committing a crime, including driving under the influences of drugs and/or alcohol, theft, assault,
  • human or international rights violations including
    • war crimes
    • crimes against humanity
  • medical reasons- including medical conditions that:
    • endanger public health
    • endanger public safety
    • causes excess demand on health or social services
  • security reasons:
    • spy related
    • violence or terrorism
    • membership in an organization involved in any organized crimes
  • financial reasons- if you’re unable to support yourself and family members
  • having an inadmissible family member



If you’re inadmissible to Canada

Normally, if you’re inadmissible to Canada, you won’t be allowed to enter the country. If you have a valid reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issuesw a termpoary resident permit.


If you’ve been committed or been convicted of a crime, you have a few options to overcome your criminal admissibility.

What are your options if you are deemed inadmissible to Canada

If you have a valid reason to travel to Canada

If you’re otherwise inadmissible but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issues a temporary resident permit.

To be eligible for a temporary resident permit, you need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health and safety risks to Canadian Society, determined by an immigration or border services officer. Even if the reason you’re inadmissible seem minor, you must proof that your visit is justified

There is no guarantee that you’ll be issued a temporary resident permit.


What you can do

Depending on the crime, how long ago it was and how you have behaved since, you may still be allowed to come to Canada if you:

  • have a temporary resident permit
  • convince an immigration officer that you meet the legal terms to be deemed rehabilitated
  • have applied to rehabilitation and were approved or
  • were granted a record suspension

Deemed rehabilitation

Deemed rehabilitation, under Canada’s immigration law, means that enough time has passed since you were convicted that your crime may no longer bar you from entering Canada.

You may be deemed rehabilitated depending on:.

  • The crime
  • If enough time has passed since you finished serving the sentence
  • If you committed more than one offence

In all cases, you may only be deemed rehabilitated if the crime committed outside Canada has a maximum prison term of less than 10 years if committed in Canada.

Individual rehabilitation

Rehabilitation means that you are not likely to commit new crimes.

You can apply for individual rehabilitation to enter Canada, The Minister may decide to grant it or not. To apply you must:

  • show that you meet the criteria
  • have been rehabilitated
  • be highly unlikely to take part in future crimes

Also, at least five years must have passed since:

  • the day you committed the act that made you inadmissible.
  • The end of your criminal sentence (including probation)

Record suspension or discharge

If you have been convicted in Canada and want to apply for a record suspension ( formerly known as a pardon), check with the Parole Board of Canada. If you get a Canadian record suspension, you will no longer be inadmissible.

If you received a record suspension or a discharge for your conviction in another country, check with the visa office that serves that country. They will tell you if the pardon is valid in Canada.

This will help make sure that when you arrive in Canada, the border services officer has enough information to decide if you can enter Canada. The office will still check to make sure you are not inadmissible for other reasons.


Akrami and Associates

The Canadian Government is strict when it comes to foreign nationals overcoming their inadmissibility. Having to prepare and submit all the required documents can be very confusing and tiring making it difficult to prepare on your own. It is highly recommended to seek professional and experienced assistance before submitting the application. Akrami and Associates has helped hundreds of clients overcome their inadmissibility. Call or email the office today to get started. 46-477-2545 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.     With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Conjugal Sponsorship FAQs
Do you qualify to be a Business Visitor?

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.