Applying For Express Entry under the Available Federal Economic Programs
If you have valuable skills and experience working in Canada or abroad, which would be a valuable addition to the Canadian economy, you may have the chance to apply for express entry, under one of the available federal economic programs. There are specific requirements you must meet for each specific program, though, the 3 different programs available aim to provide foreign nationals the opportunity to apply for high skilled professional and managerial positions, as well as skilled trade positions, so, there is something for almost anyone who is a highly qualified worker. The 3 federal economic programs I speak of are the Canadian experience class, the Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP), and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP). As mentioned, they each have specific requirements to be eligible, though, they are each a very unique opportunity for highly qualified workers, regardless of the field their occupation is in. Keep reading this blog for a breakdown of the federal economic programs available through express entry.
How Does Express Entry Work?
Essentially, applicants create a profile if they are eligible for one of the three federal economic programs, and receive points for their language abilities, education level, previous work experience, whether or not they have a job offer, and several other factors. Using a point based system, otherwise known as a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) individuals are assessed to determine the value they bring to the Canadian working economy. Depending on these factors, you will be given a score, which represents your worth to Canadian employers. For example, under all programs, having post-secondary education will give you additional points, though; it is not always a requirement.
What is the Federal Skilled Worker Program?
The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is one of the programs that skilled workers can use to gain entry into Canada through the express entry program. This is a very sought after program for foreign nationals seeking entry into Canada. In fact, more than 60% of people who apply for permanent residency choose to try to do so through this route. Through the FSWP program, individuals are given priority based on education level and language skills. It is especially valuable for an individual to have knowledge of both English and French. The criteria which will be assessed to determine if an individual is eligible for the FSWP program are as follows:
- Work experience,
- Language skills: required to meet the Canadian Language Benchmark 7 in English or French,
- Job offer,
- Adaptability to Canada,
- Financial situation,
- You are not inadmissible to Canada.
What is the Federal Skilled Trades Program?
Essentially, this is the same as the FSWP, though; the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is aimed at helping individuals who have skills in a specific trade, achieve permanent residency in Canada. To qualify for the Federal Skilled Trade Program, you will be assessed against the following criteria.
· You have minimum two years of work experience working full time in a skilled trade,
· You meet the requirements set out in the National Occupational Classification database (NOC) for the job you intend to apply,
· Your language abilities meet at least the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for listening and speaking skills, and minimum CLB 4 for reading and writing abilities,
· You have a job offer which will require you to work full time for at least one year,
· You can show at least 1 year of full-time employment or certificate qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
Please note, these are the requirements for all provinces other than Quebec, therefore, you must plan to live outside Quebec. If you are wishing to immigrate to Quebec, you are subject to alternative requirements.
What is the Canadian Experience Class?
Much like the other 2 programs already discussed, the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) allows individuals to apply for permanent residency in Canada, by applying for express entry and creating a profile. Importantly, the experience you have in Canada is what gives you the qualification to earn permanent residence under the Canadian experience class. Therefore, the CEC was essentially created to help temporary skilled workers of Canada use their newfound skills in management, professionalism and technology towards their applications for permanent residency. Furthermore, to determine your eligibility for express entry under the CEC, you will be assessed against the following criteria.
· You are a temporary worker with a minimum of 12 months full-time Experience or an equal amount (equivalent to 30 hours of paid work per week) in part time skilled work experience in Canada in the preceding three years before you apply,
· You are a student with at least 2 years of secondary education in Canada, and 1 full year work experience,
· Have gained your work experience in Canada with proper authorization,
· Have language abilities which meet the minimum Canadian Language Benchmark required for the National Occupation Classification (job) you will be working in.
Contact Akrami & Associates
To assess whether or not one of these incredible opportunities is available to you, it is important to completely understand your specific situation. This means, knowing what skills and abilities you offer which could benefit the Canadian economy. It is important you submit a profile to the express entry database which best reflects your capabilities and knowledge, so that eligible employers can easily see from your profile that you are well suited to the profession you wish to enter, making them more likely to hire you. Express Entry applications are not an easy process to understand and complete and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to submit an application. Here at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients gain economic experience and gain permanent residency in Canada through the Express Entry application management system. If you believe that you might be eligible and the correct candidate for the federal, provincial or territorial economic immigration programs in Canada, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation for more advise.
With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!