If you were authorized to enter U.S. with a TN visa, you are typically permitted to stay from 1 to 3 years. Should you require more time, you may be able to apply for an extension. In order to get an extension, you will need to file the right forms as well as provide the proper supporting documents:
- Your transcripts, diplomas or certificates
- Display your foreign credential evaluation, if your degree or diploma is from outside of the 3 NAFTA countries
- Experience letter
- Information about the employer or company you may be working for.
- Required fees
- Valid passport
You may be able to submit the above documents by mail. If you failed to file for extension before it expired, you may be denied an extension. These are terms you may need to meet, to be eligible for an extension:
- You may have to be physically present in the United States.
- You may have to apply 45 days before the expiration of the TN visa.
You may be allowed to work for 240 days after your visa has expired, and if you have filed for an extension before the expiration date. However, if a decision on your extension application is rendered before the 240 days, and decision is negative, your authorization to work will be terminated.
It is extremely important that you understand the terms of your TN status or your TN visa, and rules associated with the extension of your status. You can contact us and our team of professionals will be happy to assist you with your immigration needs.