If your Study Permit will be expiring, you may wish to know how to extend your Study Permit. A few things to note are the new rules that have been implemented regarding those who wish to study in Canada. Some of these new rules include,
- Limiting the issuance of study permits
- Requiring students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada
- Allowing certain classes of students to work part-time off campus and full-time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit
These new rules were implemented in order to reduce the risk of fraud or the misuse of the program. The government of Canada wants to ensure that those who come through the study permit program intends to do so and wants to pursue a meaningful education.
To apply for extension of your Study Permit, you must complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend your stay in Canada. It is important that you apply at least thirty days before your current permit expires.
There are two ways in which you can make your Study Permit Application:
- On paper
If you wish to apply online, you must have access to a scanner or camera in order to make copies of the documents you will have to submit. A credit card will also be needed to make payments online.
If you complete the application by paper, you will have to download the application package that can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
Some information you should keep in mind about Study Permit is that:
- You cannot extend your Study Permit beyond your passport expiration date
- You can continue to study after the expiry date if you have submitted an application and are waiting for a response
- If your permit has expired and you have not applied for an extension, this application is not applicable to you; you may wish to restore your status
If you require further information or assessment regarding your situation, call Akrami & Associates today. With the assistance of one of our legal representatives, there is always a way.