If you want to travel to the U.S. and you have a criminal record, before you can enter, you should be aware of any inadmissibility issues. Having a previous criminal record can make you inadmissible.
The criminal activities that are against social standards of morality and have been committed with malicious intent are consider very serious criminal activities by U.S. immigration. Some of these offenses include:
- If you are involved in prostitution or “ commercialized vice”
- If you are involved in a serious criminality and have obtained immunity from prosecution
- If you were involved in controlled substance trafficking
- If you have been convicted of two or more offences with a combined sentence of five (5) or more years of imprisonment.
According to U.S. immigration policy, not all of criminal activities make you inadmissible to the U.S. There are few crimes that do not affect your entry to U.S. and also do not have an impact on your application. If those conditions apply to you, you may not need waiver and may not be denied entry to the U.S. These offenses are:
- The crime was committed when you were a minor;
- The offense occurred at least five (5) years prior to your application
- The crime you have committed that do not exceed one year of imprisonment
- The sentencing for a crime that does not exceed a term more than six (6) months.
If you are travelling from Canada to U.S. and have a criminal record or the officer suspect that you have criminal record, the U.S. department of Homeland Security can legally deny your entry.
They can access the database of the RCMP and other law enforcement agencies to potentially discover a criminality in your history. If your previous criminality is discovered, they have the authority to deny you entry.
If you have a further question about being denied entry to the U.S. due to criminal record, please feel free to call us or contact us through email and book a consultation. We will provide you further information and determine the best route for you to achieve your immigration goals. With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!