Those who have skilled work experience in Canada and wish to remain in Canada on a Temporary Basis can qualify for the Canadian Experience Class. This program rewards those who have gained skilled work experience in the Canadian Labour Market.
In order to be considered for the Canadian Experience Class you must:
- Plan to live outside the province of Quebec
- Have at least twelve months of full-time or equivalent part time skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years prior to applying
- Have gained skilled work experience legally in Canada with a valid work permit
- Meet the language requirements needed for your job in speaking, reading, writing and listening
Skilled work is considered to fall under:
- Managerial (NOC skill type 0)
- Professional (NOC skill type A)
- Technical and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
You must have at least 12 months experience of full time experience or an equal amount of part time experience. Full time work is considered to be thirty hours of paid work a week.
You will need to determine under which NOC you fall under in order to determine your eligibility.
NOC is an abbreviation for the National Occupational Codex, or NOC. The National Occupational Codex is a database that essentially classifies and standardizes any occupation in Canada based on the appropriate duties. The NOC has many uses, but for the purposes of immigration, it serves as a means to describe and understand the nature of work. Each occupation is classified and described based on duties performed.
Based on these job duties, your occupation will fall under a classification. You must first find the occupation that accurately reflects your duties to determine what classification you fall under.
If your classification falls under NOC A,B or 0 than you meet the skilled work requirements. There are other such requirements you will need to consider such as language skills, adaptability, finances etc.
You should also note that the following positions are no longer being accepted by the Canadian Experience Class:
- Cooks (NOC 6322)
- Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
- Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
- Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
- Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
- Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)