Temporary Resident Permit for Canada in US after DUI - Immigration Law Firm
2 minutes reading time (395 words)

Temporary Resident Permit for Canada in US after DUI

Temporary Resident Permit for Canada in US after DUI

For many people entering Canada from United States, it is a revelation for them when they find out that their Driving Under the Influence (DUI) conviction may bar them from entering Canada. For most Americans, a DUI offence may seem minor, it may have occurred so far back in your past that you forgot it even happened, or you never thought it would affect your admissibility into Canada.

If this is your situation, there are a couple of options available to you. You may either apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) at a Canadian Consulate located in your country or region, or you can make an application to apply at a Canadian Port of Entry.

In order to increase tourism in Canada, a new policy was implemented for people with a criminal history. Although in Canada a DUI is considered a serious offence, if you fall under the category of being,

  • Convicted with no jail sentence and;
  • Only having the one criminal conviction that case you denied entry to Canada;

then you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at a Port of Entry with a your application fee waived. This was implemented to make access to Canada easier and faster for those who have a minor criminal history.

If your situation does not comply with the above, you may still make an application at a Port of Entry, however, you must pay the application fee and your history will be examined more thoroughly. Inadmissibility for this can include criminal convictions, not meeting medical standards, or for non-compliance.

Getting Temporary Resident Permit for Canada in US after DUI conviction:

An application may also be made to a Canadian Consulate near you. You would make an application and wait for an approval before coming to Canada.

It is important to understand that your entry is not guaranteed. Each individual will be assessed by a border officer and it is up to their discretion as to whether or not you may enter. This being said, what you can do is to guarantee that your application is complete and that you have gathered all the correct documentation needed to make your case.

At Akrami & Associates, our team of legal professionals can help you. With our vast experience, we can assist you with every step of the way. Call us today and see how we can help.

Spousal Sponsorship Application Inside Canada
Canada Business Visitor Visa Requirements

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to http://toimmigrate.com/