Intra Company Transferee Requirements - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.

Intra Company Transfer


You may be able to secure a Canadian work permit though the Intra- Company Transfer program if you work for a company that has a parent company, branch, subsidiary or affiliate in Canada. Employers wishing to bring an international staff member to Canada as an intra- company transferee are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). For this reason, the process can be cost effective, simpler and quicker than the LMIA route. Continue reading for more information.

Who is eligible for Intra-Company Transfer

In order to be deemed eligible to work in Canada under the Intra-Company Transfer program, workers must be in one of three categories:

  1. Workers with Specialized knowledge- Specialized employees have narrow expertise in an important function of the organization,  including unique skills and experienced with the company’s service, products and procedures.
  2. Executives: executives direct management and major parts of the business. They receive only minimal supervision from other levels of management.
  3. Senior Managers: manage part and/or all the business, Supervise other managers, and are in charge of hiring, firing, and promoting.

In all instances, workers looking to be transferred to Canada must have at least one year of full time work experience and be performing comparable work in Canada. There also must be a qualifying relationship from the employer and employee for a work permit to be issued.

How long is the Intra-Company Transfer Valid for:

Seven years for executives and seniors managers. Five years for specialized knowledge works. Once the maximum time has been reached, you need to complete one year of fulltime work outside of Canada than you would need to reapply.

Important note:

Intra-company transferees are often in a strong position to become permanent residents of Canada. Permanent residents can reside and work in any location in Canada.

Can you Change Employers while in Canada?

This permit is employer specific, so the answer is no. If your employment within the company ends, you would need to leave Canada, unless you were approved for another visa

The company is a start-up. Is there additional requirements?

To determine eligibility for a start-up company, the company must provide proof of financial stability and a plan for growth within Canada. The initial permit approved for this is usually one-year.

Can my Spouse and/or Children accompany?

Spouses and children are permitted to live in Canada as part of this program.

Important Factors to consider:

  1. Education: Your education level should reflect your intended purpose in Canada as well as you current position within the company
  2. Experience: Your experience should be comparable to your claim of unique knowledge within the company
  3. Knowledge: Knowledge in your field/ occupation should be based on experience within the company and be unique to your occupation. Not just anyone would be able to accomplish the job you’re intended to do.
  4. Training: training you have received should reflect how you have gained specialized knowledge
  5. Supporting documents: Resume, referenced letters etc. should all reflect your claims regarding these factors

Akrami and Associates

Applying for an Intra-Company Transfer permit must be done carefully. To ensure you have the highest chances of approval, it is recommended to go above and beyond the minimum requirements. At Akrami and Associates, our representatives are experienced with these types of work permits. We can guide you through the process, start to finish, to ensure the best possible chance of success. Contact us today 416-477-245 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Continue reading
  144 Hits
144 Hits

NAFTA Work Permit Canada

NAFTA Work Permit Canada

What is NAFTA Work Permit?

NAFTA stands for the North American Free Trade Agreement and it is an agreement between Canada, the United States, and Mexico that was established in 1994. The NAFTA work permit for Canada allows citizens from either the United States or Mexico to temporarily immigrate to Canada to work.

Business Visitor Visa

A business visitor visa allows an individual to take part in international business activities in Canada. They are allowed to stay for a maximum for up to six months. If you are a business visitor, you will not require a work permit and are not eligible for NAFTA benefits as it is not under NAFTA. Instead business people will require a work permit and are under NAFTA and the categories for business people are detailed below (are under the categories for the NAFTA work permit).

Continue reading
  1455 Hits
1455 Hits