Canadian refugee claim

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters. If you would like to learn about US and Canadian immigration matters you have came to the right place to read blogs.

The Process of Filing a Refugee Claim

File a Refugee Claim

The hardship individuals who are coming from war-torn countries face, puts them in a position in a horrible position. Their country of origin, in a state of emergency, is obviously not making it priority to provide travel documents to help individuals leave. In some cases, the government is actively preventing individuals from leaving. Ultimately, for one reason or another, individuals are essentially stuck. Individuals who escape will not be allowed to cross other countries boarders easily at all, because they do not have valid travel documents, and could end up with nowhere to go. Fortunately, the United Nations has recognized the need for some individuals to seek protection in another country is a situation which arises sometimes, and it should be their right, as a human, to receive this protection. Therefore, countless countries have implemented procedures to help refugee claimants, and provide asylum from their country of origin. Canada is a country which provides protection to asylum seekers. Though, the process is very extensive and can be very confusing. Therefore, this article will aim to break down the process of making a refugee claim in Canada.

To Begin

First, you must either make it to a Canadian port of entry, where you will be arrested and detained and brought into custody with the RCMP. This is not the same as being arrested for criminality. One should think of this arrest as the beginning of protection, and it is simply the beginning of the refugee claim process. This is not to take away from the rigorous assessment individuals will face when filing a refugee claim, but it is important to understand you are not being arrested for criminality. It would not make sense for immigration officers to let anyone who has no intention of returning to their country of origin, roam free around the country, as it is likely they would not leave if their refugee claim was denied. If you are already in Canada, you can file an asylum claim at a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) inland office or an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) inland office. CBSA or IRCC officials will then determine if an individual is eligible to land as a refugee.

Continue reading
  191 Hits
191 Hits