NAFTA Work Permit - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
2 minutes reading time (410 words)

NAFTA Work Permit

NAFTA Work Permit

As a business person, you may be asked to work in their international headquarters in Canada or you may want to venture into the Canadian market yourself. Either way, you will need to distinguish yourself as a business individual because depending on which category you fall under, you will have different rules to follow in order to work in Canada.

If you are a business person, you may come to Canada to do business under a free trade agreement. You may enter and work in Canada if you qualify under one of these agreements:

  • North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

  • Other Free Trade Agreements (FTAs)

    • Canada-Chile FTA

    • Canada-Peru FTA

    • Canada-Colombia FTA

    • Canada-Korea FTA

  • General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)

If you are a business visitor, you do not need a work permit. A business visitor is someone who is involved with business activities but are not part of the Canadian labour market. Business visitors may stay in Canada for up to six months. Along with being a business visitor, you must follow these criteria’s:

  • No intent to enter the Canadian labour market

  • Your main source of income is from outside of Canada

  • Your main place of business is from outside of Canada

To work as a professional in Canada, you must qualify for the following:

  • Work under one of the jobs that are listed by NAFTA

  • Have a job offer from a Canadian business in that field you will work in

  • Possess a work permit

If you are a person who is currently working for a company but is transferred and relocated to work in Canada, you must:

  • Have worked:

    • On an on-going basis

    • For at least one year in the past three years

    • For the same or related employer in the US or Mexico

  • Be transferred to work short term for the same or related company in Canada

  • Work in a position or job that uses particular knowledge

  • Have a work permit

If you are a trader or an investor and want to work in Canada, you must:

  • Be involved in a role that uses skills,

  • Have a large investments in Canada by you or your company

  • Have a large amount of trade in goods or services, between Canada or your home country

  • Meet the rules of NAFTA

  • Have a work permit

If you need more information on NAFTA Work Permit, contact us today and one of our representatives will be glad to assist you with your matter.

Three Tips For TRP
Live In Caregiver Program Requirements

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to